Anybody using "Mac's" grape driftwood for their pleco?

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by 1hawaii50, Apr 15, 2010.

1. 1hawaii50Valued MemberMember

I was at PetSmart today, and I found a small package of "Mac's" grape driftwood. It is packaged for use in a reptile tank, but it doesn't say if you can/can't use it in an aquarium. I asked the salesclerk, and they had no clue. I have a rubbernose/bulldog pleco, and I wanted to get some driftwood for him. If I boil this all day long, do you think it would be safe to use. The package just says that it is heat treated, and a product of the USA.

2. LucyModeratorModerator Member

3. 1hawaii50Valued MemberMember

Thanks Lucy, I did search, and was able to find those threads. Since they are kind of conflicting, I just wondered if anybody had anything else to add.

4. LucyModeratorModerator Member

:) Hope so. It comes in such interesting shapes and would look great, if safe.

5. 1hawaii50Valued MemberMember

I just wanted a small piece for my pleco. I got 4 small pieces in a bag at PetSmart. I can get some mopani driftwood at my local LFS, but they only have larger pieces for about $20.

6. Psychlist1972Valued MemberMember

Old thread, but curious how this worked out. The grape is just sun-dried, not really driftwood IIRC. Won't it get all punky and rot in the tank?

Did you try any? How is it doing?

7. 1hawaii50Valued MemberMember

I ended up returning it, so I don't know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice