Anybody using "Mac's" grape driftwood for their pleco?

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by 1hawaii50, Apr 15, 2010.

1. 1hawaii50

1hawaii50Valued MemberMember

I was at PetSmart today, and I found a small package of "Mac's" grape driftwood. It is packaged for use in a reptile tank, but it doesn't say if you can/can't use it in an aquarium. I asked the salesclerk, and they had no clue. I have a rubbernose/bulldog pleco, and I wanted to get some driftwood for him. If I boil this all day long, do you think it would be safe to use. The package just says that it is heat treated, and a product of the USA.

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

3. OP
    OP
    1hawaii50

Thanks Lucy, I did search, and was able to find those threads. Since they are kind of conflicting, I just wondered if anybody had anything else to add.

4. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

:) Hope so. It comes in such interesting shapes and would look great, if safe.

5. OP
    OP
    1hawaii50

I just wanted a small piece for my pleco. I got 4 small pieces in a bag at PetSmart. I can get some mopani driftwood at my local LFS, but they only have larger pieces for about $20.

6. Psychlist1972

Psychlist1972Valued MemberMember

Old thread, but curious how this worked out. The grape is just sun-dried, not really driftwood IIRC. Won't it get all punky and rot in the tank?

Did you try any? How is it doing?

7. OP
    OP
    1hawaii50

I ended up returning it, so I don't know.