Anybody Using A Intank Media Basket In Their Ac?

Z7What

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just recently got a 55G at the Petco DPG sale but will be returning it to get a 75G instead. I won't be setting the tank up anytime soon because we just sold our house and moved into my MILs until we find another house or property to build on. So this gives me time to collect all the parts I want to use on the new 75G build. I'm been eyeing the inTank Media Baskets for a while but just not sure if they are worth more than the AC itself. Plans are to run two AC70s at the very least, chances are ill run two AC110s instead.

If you have a inTank Basket, how do you like it? Are they worth it?

Wayne

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i'd go with the larger 110, either Aquaclear or Tidal, I have two AC70s on it and they don't fit properly on the 75G Aqueon tanks. The main problem is on the intake tube side, the extra lip that sticks out on the 75 gallon trI'm pushes against the intake tube and makes it hard to align with the impeller. they also sit up higher making more splashing noise than if they were seated properly on the rim. Also two AC70s only give me 8x turnover rate. two 110s will give me 12x turnover rate. minus the restriction from the media.

I just ordered a Tidal 110 to see how I like it compared to the AC. Tidal have the self priming, and i'm not liking the media "basket" of the AC's.
full.jpg

OP
Z7What

Z7What

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cichlidude said:
For the price of those baskets you can buy Seachem Tidal filters... or any other HOB for that matter.
I understand that the insert is more expensive than the AC110 itself, I just like the fact that it doesn’t allow any bypass and forces the water through whatever media you decide to run. Each media has its own selection which is also nice. The way I have my current AC30 set up is Foam, 2 Layers of Bonded Floss and then my Bio Media. I find that the weight of the Bio media pushes down against the floss causing it to restrict the flow some. With the inTank insert the Bio Media would have its own section so it wouldn’t compress the floss. It’s a $200 question which is why I’m asking if anybody had experience with them.

Skavatar said:
i'd go with the larger 110, either Aquaclear or Tidal, I have two AC70s on it and they don't fit properly on the 75G Aqueon tanks. The main problem is on the intake tube side, the extra lip that sticks out on the 75 gallon trI'm pushes against the intake tube and makes it hard to align with the impeller. they also sit up higher making more splashing noise than if they were seated properly on the rim. Also two AC70s only give me 8x turnover rate. two 110s will give me 12x turnover rate. minus the restriction from the media.

I just ordered a Tidal 110 to see how I like it compared to the AC. Tidal have the self priming, and i'm not liking the media "basket" of the AC's.
I remember seeing you post about the HOB not sitting correctly. That makes up my mind about going with the AC110s. I’ve heard people having issues with the ACs not self priming after a power outage which to my understanding it isn’t designed to be. But I will say that this past weekend we lost power from a Hurricane for a few hours. When we lost power I hooked up my battery air pump to my stone and let it run. About an hour later I got the generator hooked up to back feed the panel and started it up. The AC started/primed just fine. It also started/primed just fine when shutting it off to switch back to regular power once it was restored. Although the AC isn’t designed to be self priming I found that if you make sure the flow adjustment tube is pushed down tightly against the suction of the pump it doesn’t allow the water to drain out the tube when power is lost so once power is restored it has no problem pumping again. Just some food for thought.

Wayne

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My Aquaclears are stuffed with various media.

Here are some pics I took last year, of how I had some AC's set up.

Never had an issue with anything compressing the fine floss media.

As others pointed out, if you're looking at AC110's, I suggest checking out Tidal 110's.

My friend has 4x Tidal 75's and he likes them a lot.

Kensfish.com has the Tidal 110 for $62 on sale, no tax and free s&h.

There was someone here on the forum that bought the in tank Basket, I can't remember who though. Do a search on the forum, it should come up.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom