Anybody tried pond plants in their tanks? Question

1. HappyKnitter Member Member

I have a 55 gallon goldfish tank..and I am lucky so far they dont munch on them . I have anachris and fern and some bulb plants that they sale in pet store .. but I am looking for a bigger plant.. So I went to Home Depot and they have the pond plants on sale . I bought one to see how it will grow or if..To my surprise it has ..This is a Water Liliy it is in my QT tank. pondplant.jpg
    Question has anybody else put pond plants in their aquarium? pros / cons

2. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Well an aquarium is just a pond with clear sides, so you can grow most of the things that grow in a pond inside of a tank. One difference is that a pond gets much more light than a typical aquarium, so you may have trouble growing/getting good coloration out of certain plants if you don't have strong lighting. The other difference is that pond plants are meant to be viewed from above, so typically there's more emphasis on emergent type growth, floaters, etc. Not really a big deal just a different basic philosophy.

3. HappyKnitter Member Member

jetajockey thanks so it is more light and no aquarium lid..I have a glass lids and still looking for lights

Oh and I love your avatar.. I had a green quaker parrot , it was given to my daughter its name was Squirt and as years went on it got very mean.. We brought it to a breeder and it ended that Squirt was really a little female that really wanted to mate..lol..name change to Drizzle..

4. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Cute. I just got this blue quaker, the photo is while he was still hand feeding at the store. We had a breeding pair of green ones years ago.

5. PedroThePie Member Member

I've actually grown many lily pads in my tanks to get them ready for the pond. While the big fish in the pond still ate them up, the lilies in the tank did fantastic, and the shrimp loved to play with them.

6. Axelrodi202 Member Member

Be careful of pests; bad stuff like dragonfly nymphs could sneak in.