Anybody run

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by atmmachine816, Mar 25, 2006.

1. atmmachine816

atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Anybody here run. I just ran a race.

2. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I ran track for quite a few years, but I'm not doing it this year because I don't like the middle school coach. I was really good at long jump and the hurdles.

3. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Trust me I HATE my coach, when I found out he was coaching I wanted to not do track but I got over him since I can't go without doing track.

4. 0morrokh

I'm really going to miss it, I loved running the hurdles. :-\ But at least I still have my horseback riding.

5. Isabella

IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

I really hate running ... because it's usually what I do when I don't have the time to go swimming. I always get tired fast with running and it seems so boring to me (don't know why). I love to swim - my only sport. I can never get bored with swimming. Was on a swimming team in HS. Now I don't have that much time, so I swim whenever the time allows. And when I really don't have the time to go swimming ... that's when I do my alternative running in a nearby park - but that's just to substitute for swimming.

Plus, all the people in NYC are always running, including myself (not is a "sport" sense). Life is so fast here; you don't even have the time to stop for a moment, take a breath, and think in general about how busy you've been and where all this is going. I suppose this is another reason for which I hate running. I've been running all the time in this city, lol, so no ... running as a sport is definitely not for me. Swimming, on the other hand, is quite the opposite - it's very relaxing and soothing. It can give you a great sense of relaxation after a long and busy day. And it's an excellent activity to stay in shape.

6. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

I don't run as a sport, but in the summer I run sometimes to places close enough for it.
    Plus I run alot anyway, like Isabella. Like if I'm late for a class :-X

7. 0morrokh

hehe...if someone asks me if I am a walker or take the bus, I say 'no, I'm a runner'! ;D ;) Well actually this year I have to use my bike since I have my fish now to feed in the morning. And I usually have to run to class, they give us insanely short breaks between classes.:p No time at all to stop and daydream about fish. ;D :D ;)

8. EmpPlecoWell Known MemberMember

I run for exercise. I have never been on a track team or anything, I'm not very fast, lol. I doubt i would be a very good asset to the team, but I enjoy it a lot more now that I have quit smoking, I can run longer, and not get out of breath as fast. I find it very soothing, and when I am finished jogging a few miles, after i take a shower and everything, i feel so good~and energized! it's amazing the rewards you get for hard work :)

9. Isabella

Exercising is very good for people, especially if their lifestyle is not very active. For example, when their work environment is an office where they sit at their desks all day long. This is when one really would benefit from a daily exercise. Sitting all day and not moving much is not healthy at all. Plus, most Americans rely heavily on their cars to transport them to places - which is another lifestyle choice that contributes to little movement throughout a day. I really do believe that all this - sitting all day, driving everywhere instead of walking, and eating a lot of fast-foods - is what causes so many health problems in modern-day America. Lifestyle can determine so much about your health. (Not to mention how much pollution all of the cars in America, and across the world, cause.)

In the past, people didn't have the luxury of driving everywhere with their own cars or having a ready-made dinner (for example, from McDonald's), but they also didn't get sick as much. They had to walk a lot and they had to cook themselves, but that helped them maintain health. Do you see a direct relationship here? I do, it's very clear to me. It's almost directly proportional that the less we move and the more we eat out, the sicker we get. If anybody is interested, I strongly recommend seeing a movie called "Supersize Me". I think it's a great proof of how our lifestyles make us sick.

EmpPleco, I feel the same way you do after I swim. I love it :)

10. dahlyValued MemberMember

When I was in H.S I ran the 440, and was pretty good at it too! However, I never did enjoy running. And I dreaded running distances. We had to run between 3-5 miles before our practice sprints, and it was a drag. Since HS, I haven't run much at all. I do walk every morning for 30 minutes to try to be healthy. :)

11. Isabella

Dahly, lol, I dreaded running distances in HS too! How I hated that! I am terrible at long-distance running.

12. EmpPlecoWell Known MemberMember

Isabella,

I totally agree with you! Although it's said because college is 30 miles away from home for me, and work is nearly 40!!! it would take me forever to walk to the places that i needed to go :(

13. Isabella

I know EmpPleco that many people have a real long way to work and/or school. I understand that. Same here. But workplace and educational institutions are located where they are precisely because people have acquired cars and have become able to drive long distances. If we still lived in the times when people had to use horses as means of transportation, or had to walk, workplaces and schools would have been never built so far away. So it's all connected and tangled. There is no doubt now that if we continue polluting our atmosphere at the current rate (be it with cars or anything else), the future of this planet won't be too bright. And I am talking about a very near future. I am not telling people to stop driving since many people's only way of getting to work/school is by driving. I am just questioning the society in general (both American and global societies); and the current social structure will have to dramatically change if we want this planet to be healthy. Seriously. I have a great book for you about that: "How Much Is Enough? - The Consumer Society and the Future of the Earth" by Alan Durning.

14. CraigWell Known MemberMember

im a sprinter 100m and 200m 400m if im fit enough i have terrible injury problems i hate long distance lol

C W

15. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

What's your personal best at the 400 Craig, I run that too. Sounds like I started a fitness discussion. Well I'm gona try and get sub-five this year for the mile, so far my friend has already gotten 4minutes 50 seconds for the mile, school record (it's middle school) and he's only run 3 meets so far.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice