anybody on

1. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

anyboyd on it seems like nobodys on and i am bored somebody post a ? or respond to something

2. Jan Member Member

I have a ? for you. I asked this on the beginner board but I will bring it here as well. I got alot of good responses but I still want so bad to get an algae eater. I am looking for a good algae eater that will be compbatible with a redtail. So far I am going to skip the fish and get plants. Do you know of any algae eaters that I could get?

3. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

4. Jan Member Member

55 gallon

5. maybet Initiate Member

I had a common pleco and he did an amazing job at keeping my tank algea free...I had a lot and he cleaned it right up.

6. Jan Member Member

I have alot of algae as well, but I don't really like pleco's....

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

.... and they get soooo very big.... :D
    Carol

8. Jan Member Member

My thoughts EXACTLY...... I don't really like the looks of them either.... :eek:

9. Jon Well Known Member Member

sry atm but ottos wouldnt work... redtailed sharks are very agressive towards smaller fish so while it might possibly work i wouldnt risk getting ottos... if you dont like plecos or snails then look at shrimps / various plants / anything you can find.... do lots of research and gl finding something... in the worst case scenario you might want to look at some plecos

10. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

not necesarily you would just have to monitor them if you got them but i think the rtbs should leave them alone

11. Jan Member Member

As easy going as my rtbs is, I know what they are capable of, he is still young so who knows when he grows up. I am thinking that I may have to get a pleco (the one that does not get so big) as I would really prefer those to plants. Maybe I will get both....

12. RoboDude Member Member

My rtbs is with many smaller fish, like a cory, but doesn't bother it. Otos would work, Jan!

13. Jan Member Member

I bought two Otto's and within 2 days they were dead. I doubt if it was the rtbs though as I don;t think that he even noticed that they were around. I got my PH checked and it was around 8 possibly higher but my other fish are fine. Not too sure what to do here as I am getting mixed advice.

14. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

were there bellies large how long the the lfs have them did they feed them algae wafers or some supplement

those are my ?s but i wouldnt get anymore untill you lower your ph as i think that might have killed them

15. Jan Member Member

Actually they looked perfect, I am not too sure how long they had them for but they were pretty tiny so I am assuming that they were pretty young. I also do not know what they were fed. I have alot of algae so I did not give them anything else. They seemed perfect when I went to bed when I woke up they were both dead.

I went to a lfs and I was told that the worst thing to do is to play around with the PH as the instability can become too stressful to the fish and that may kill them. She suggested just adding salt to somewhat balance the PH.

16. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

man where is everybody nobody seems to be on lately