Anybody know where to find these?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MatthewM, Aug 1, 2015.

1. MatthewM

MatthewMValued MemberMember

My emerald cory (brochis splendens, not actually a cory, but usually labeled as one) is lonely. And the store i got him from months back no longer cary's them. Does anybody know a good seller who can get me 6 or 7 of them for a good price? Anybody on here even? Places i see want 12-15 bucks for one. Thats crazy.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2015
  2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Not sure where to get them but just wanted to say that they are actually a cory, currently.
    It's been moved to the Corydoras genus, but it may be reclassified later. It's Corydoras splendens.
    http://www.fishbase.org/summary/12154
    The first link says Brochis splendens in the url but the name was changed....

3. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Emerald cories are now actually going to be considered? That's crazy!
    But almost any pet store should have them. Try Petco, pet smart, live aquaria, anywhere. It's odd that the store you got him at doesn't stock them anymore. They're normally a "staple fish"

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

The area i live in is about 45 minutes from the nearest reputable store with good stock :/ there is a place in town that is good but he doesn't cary much. Breeds everything himself. I am trying to avoid petco and the likes as much as possible as last time i was in one i was far, far from impressed. Yeah the place i got them said they usually have them, but they just stopped because sales slowed down. I tried live aquaria but the shipping was more than the fish. So i'm checking more places

Wow, thanks for the info :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2015
  5. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

As far as avoiding Petco, I understand that. But it's actually easy to tell if the stock is good. Check the whole column of tanks where the fish you want are. Check the column to the left, and to the right. Are there excessive dead fish? (This means more than two or three across all three columns) do any of the tanks have ich? Do any of the fish seem "odd"? If not, then you're okay. Bad fin quality is often because of poor stocking (ex my store HAS to have Julii cories with serpae tetras unfortunately) and not poor water quality.
    And when I say column, their normally a column of two tanks wide. You should understand what I mean if you look at the aquatic section.
    From working at Petco, I can tell you that when fish get sick(which is normally from the vendor) they are getting treated. Normally with salt unless the tank has live plants.
    I don't know about pet smart, but my coworker used to work there and never had anything bad to say about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. hop2jr

hop2jrValued MemberMember

pet land carry's them all the time

7. ricmcc

ricmccWell Known MemberMember

The cories that I keep or have kept always did school, but did not seem to bother about which particular species of cory they were schooling with(other than dwarf cories, which basically inhabit a difference zone).
    Also, I have read that when collecting wild cories for trade, it is not unusual at all to find several species in one haul of the net, indicating that they school together in nature, as well.
    So if you are just interested in the well being of your cory, getting a different species that has similar water temp. requirements is an easier, but workable, approach. Best to you, rick

8. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

Try wetspot tropical, they seem to always have good stock for an importer.

9. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

10. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

I have two other types of corys in there. A school of six, and a school of two, and the single emerald. As they do school, it is better and they are more playful if it is their own kind. So i am making it only a school of emeralds and a school of the other kind. (Not 100% on the type the other school is)

11. ricmcc

ricmccWell Known MemberMember

Well. what ever works for you. As I said, my cories don't seem to pay much attention to species when schooling; perhaps they had a troubled childhood in a gated community or something:).
    Seriously, though, from your original post I had taken it that he was in there on his own, and that getting others would be prohibitively expensive. So this was offered as a compromise, although the plan that you outline sounds good.
    all the best, rick

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  12. jhawkmolly

jhawkmollyNew MemberMember

My local Petco sells them

13. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Stopped by a petco. Hey had them, but they looked absolutely dreadful. The one i have is gorgeous, and it just wouldn't look right having one beautiful one and a bunch of bad looking ones. They looked pretty malnourished too. A lot of the fish looked really malnourished and were missing scales.