Anybody know what kind of critter this is?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by TikiBird, Jul 11, 2015.

1. TikiBird

TikiBird Well Known Member Member

Got some Java moss today and found this guy in it as a hitchhiker. He seems to sort of ooze out of his shell and pull himself along. I don't know what he is or if that means he's injured? Any thoughts? I don't want to put him in my tank if it's a pest type snail, but he is kind of cute.... ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436651638.780432.jpg

Here's a top-down pic ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436651759.404080.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
  2. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

AHHHH, TRUMPET SNAIL! ;:barf

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I would dispose of that snail. They multiply like crazy and will take over your tank!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. NicoFord

NicoFord Valued Member Member

Hey mts are great in moderation

Sent from my VS840 4G using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Dom90

If you want snails for cleanup crew, the only one that won't take over your tank are nerites.

6. OP
    OP
    TikiBird

If it matters, it's a red cherry shrimp and nerite snail tank it would be going in....

If there's only one, it should be OK? Unless it's a female and is already pregnant I guess...?)

7. Dom90

MTS don't need two to reproduce...

8. OP
    OP
    TikiBird

omg

9. OP
    OP
    TikiBird

To dispose of it, can I give it to my betta to eat?

edit to add: I don't think I have the heart. Lol I'll probably just return the snail to the store.

10. Dom90

The betta may not eat it... Then you'll have a real problem on your hands.

11. TSzabo

TSzabo Valued Member Member

Usually pet stores and your LFS dont want snails either...most have their own snail problems that they deal with. I have a weekly loop that I do to the local stores to help them pick snails out of their tanks that I in turn feed to my dwarf puffer. If you dont want it in your tank then youre probably just better off disposing of it.

12. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

They are actually a very beneficial snail, especially if you have sand substrate but before you know it you will have hundreds of them and be fighting them off. I'd just get rid of it if you don't want a ton of them.

Your betta likely won't touch it, I didn't know bettas would eat snails at all? But MTS have very hard shells and even some of the best snail eaters leave them be.

I have hundreds of them in my tanks to keep my sand nice and loose, they also don't eat healthy plant matter like a lot of other snails do.

13. OP
    OP
    TikiBird

Thanks so much, all!

14. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Unless you're over feeding your tank they're hardly a nuisance. They spend most of their time hiding, great at cleaning up missed foods, and great in planted tanks.

I have them in ALL of my tanks (on purpose lol) and have for years and I assure you they've never even come close to "overrunning" my tank. Their population will balance itself out based on how much food they have available.

Also while nerites are great at eating algae they won't do much cleaning up of missed foods.

15. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Rabbit snails only give birth to one snail at a time, so they wouldn't over run your tank.

16. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Not much of a hider either, lol

17. Dom90

Never heard of it but I do now. But isn't it ironic how they call them rabbit snails?

18. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

lol, they're a big snail.
    Very ironic....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice