Anybody Know What Is Causing This

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Aquaholic3, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Aquaholic3

Aquaholic3 Valued Member Member

Hi guys.

I am starting to get more into the planted side of the hobby and I am still very new to it all. I have had a tank setup for a few months and it has been doing well so far.

It seemed to have happened almost over night. I did a PWC and added some epsom salt 1 tsp to a 18.5g tank as my betta was bloated (he is doing well now).

I have seachem root tabs and i have a 24w LED full spectrum light. The tank has a decent number of fish but never much nitrates, around 5ppm at most. Temp is around 77f.

Here is a picture, if somebody could tell me what causes this or needs more information just let me know.
    20170412_012721.jpg
    20170412_012736.jpg
    The rest of the plants are doing ok Val is growing like a weed, the Anubias is looking good.

Thanks for any help it is always appreciated.

2. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

The plant had some dark spots which made me believe it was already damaged.
    When plants are damaged that happens to them, sometimes it takes a little while to start dying off but once it starts the dying off process is relatively fast, it has happened to me too.
    I would not stress about it unless it happens to all your leafs.
    Just trim it off (directly from the stem if possible), it will encourage new growth.

3. Gourami-28

Gourami-28 Valued Member Member

Hi, it may be a sign of pest snails in your tank

4. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

It looks like it was eaten. I have to agree with snails as the culprit. Or if you have a pleco, that could be eating it, too.

5. BeanFish

Really? The plant looks like it was already melting? I have a bunch of pest snails in a tank and no leaf in my tank looks like that.

6. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

Idk for sure. Maybe it's just the way the leaf looks that makes me think snails. I had ramshorns that eat swords. Luckily, they became fish food.

7. Alhana

Alhana Valued Member Member

What kind of plant is the one being eaten? I was just watching a video on plant fertilizers last night and some of the things that they mentioned was making sure you have some nitrates in your tank for live plants. They even joked how it went against everything most people say about keeping fish but its actually beneficial to the plant. Another thing they mentioned that might be helpful is that as plants grow or you add more, you may have to change the amounts you fertilize since the growth means more plants to feed. The analogy they used was something like if you put in 5 guppies and after a few months you have 30 guppies, you dont put in fish food for just 5 guppies.

8. BeanFish

Dont get me wrong, pest snails do eat plants, I have a montecarlo I am pathetically trying to carpet and it is not uncommon to see those freaking snails opening miniature holes on the leafs.
    I also have a Ludwigia that has thicker leafs and my snails leave it alone.
    In that 10 gal with pest snails I used to have an Amazon Sword which was gifted to me because it was in poor conditions, I never had problems with snail eating them.
    In fact, now that I remember, a leaf of the Amazon Sword looked just like that, but with time it established itself, created a giantic root system and did relatively well.

9. aniroc

aniroc Well Known Member Member

Looks like Pleco damage to me, too.
    OP: do you have a Pleco?

10. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

If the leaf already had some parts dying back, it would have attracted the snails; they often have a preference for dead or dying plant material.

11. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

If it isn't snails or pleco damage, it could actually be some kind of other pest that eats the leaves of the plant like this. Usually when you see something like this in garden plant, it is the larvae of a bug going around eating the leaves of the plant...could be the same thing with that plant as well.

12. OP
    OP
    Aquaholic3

I have 2 BN plecos and 1 MTS but they have been in the tank for months and the plants were fine other than a few brown spots but this seemed to happen almost overnight.

I only have root tabs at the moment, I do have nitrates not alot but some. The plants must be established by now, they were pretty small when they got them, a few moonths ago. I thought they might be deficient of something?

13. BeanFish

Nah, I dont think so, as you said the plants were already brown and I when plants start to melt they can do it pretty quickly. It happened to me once and my Amazon did not die, in fact it is still alive, ugly but alive!

14. OP
    OP
    Aquaholic3

Its mainly on all the top leaves the lower leaves are doing well

15. BeanFish

If the leaves that are suffering from that condition were already brown/melting then I would not worry much about it. If it happens to all leafs or a lot of leafs, that is when I would start to worry.

16. OP
    OP
    Aquaholic3

I think, i might have a deficiency it started happening in other tanks too and they were healthy before. My tap water is very unreliable and i am thinking something might have changed and now my swords and java fern are having the same issues.

17. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Swords need root tabs as they are root feeding plants, while java ferns are water column feeding plants, so some liquid ferts would be good for them. It would help round out anything your water didn't have. I would suggest the Seachem line of products, Flourish Root Tabs and Flourish Comprehensive.

18. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

The leaf thats been minched on looks a lot like emersed growth leaves. Is it a new plant?

19. OP
    OP
    Aquaholic3

In my first post you can see i mentioned i use seachem root tabs thats why i am confused the anubias are doing well and so is the val not sure what it can be.

20. OP
    OP
    Aquaholic3

A few months old was doing well until recently and all of a sudden it started going bas and now my other tanks are doing the same.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice