Anybody Keeping Silvertip Tetra( Hasemania Nana)?

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by Ryan P, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Ryan P

Ryan P Valued Member Member

Hi guys,

just have a few questions with this Species, I have 20 of them on my 60 gallon community tank. Together with other fishes.
    just wondering for those people who keep them how does yours behave?
    I feel some of mine are rowdy than the other, and those who are could be males (more orange-ish in color) they keep chasing one another all over the tank, specially when it's after feeding time. Is this normal behavior? or did I get too many males? Didn't ask my LFS to sex them when I got the group so I don't know the M:F ratio ATM.

Also is it just a myth about them following your fingers when you put it on the glass of the tank as per Aquarium Coops vids?
    They seem to do it but only before feeding, which I assume all other fish do.

Thanks!!

2. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

Hi! I have silver tipped tetras... Some are definitely more agressive and nippy than others..

3. OP
    OP
    Ryan P

ok thanks, just wondering if mine was a wierd bunch or I'm doing something wrong

4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Silvertips have complete other "language" than other Tetras. They'll chase each other their entire life. If you'll understand this (no harm is done) they're great fish.

5. OP
    OP
    Ryan P

Yes they are and love them! was just curious as if I'm doing anything wrong (i.e. too much flow, etc.) Maybe on vids I saw and on my LFS they seems to school better, maybe because of the confined space.

6. OP
    OP
    Ryan P

And also sharing my experience about keeping CRS on with my Silvertip was not a good idea lol

7. 2006fuzz

2006fuzz Valued Member Member

I bought a half dozen of these fish almost 7 years ago, and there's still 2 of them left int he 30 gallon tank. Hardy fish for sure, and quite energetic :D

8. Firestarter2018

Firestarter2018 New Member Member

Yes. I have 15 of them. They do chase each other around. I have all males, but they will chase females. Sometimes the males pick on each other. They are very fun to watch, and many times they all school together on one side of the tank. I love them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice