Question Anybody Here Ever Used Tetra Lifeguard?

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello everybody
I just curious, has anybody used tetra lifeguard before? And what exactly is it? I can’t find much info on the ingredients of this product, anyone know of it?
Thanks

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello everybody
I just curious, has anybody used tetra lifeguard before? And what exactly is it? I can’t find much info on the ingredients of this product, anyone know of it?
Thanks
I googled "active ingredient in tetra lifeguard" it is: 1-chloro-2,2,5,5-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone
I googled that chemical and found a bunch of comments about its effectiveness both pros and cons then found this abstract published by the usda: Publication : USDA ARS
You may be able to find the whole study if you dig around a bit.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've responded to a post like this before not too long ago.
Basically, it seems kind of experimental and novel for fish. I didn't find a whole lot of definitive information when I researched it before.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've responded to a post like this before not too long agom
Basically, it seems kind of experimental and novel for fish. I didn't find a whole lot of definitive information when I researched it before.
If someone were really interested, the complete study (above) may have references to other studies of this chemical as a disinfectant/antimicrobial.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They told me it’s a form of chlorine & that water conditioner will neutralize it
emoji4.png
Finally I got an answer to what lifeguard is.
Well... That sounds weird. A type of chlorine? How would I know if my conditioner is neutralizing the med? How long do I need to wait after conditioning the water before using this? Sounds easy to misuse/improperly use/mess up.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well... That sounds weird. A type of chlorine? How would I know if my conditioner is neutralizing the med? How long do I need to wait after conditioning the water before using this? Sounds easy to misuse/improperly use/mess up.
I think using a dechlorinator plus carbon and a water change would be the best way to be sure you've removed all of this chemical since clorine is only one of the atoms included in the complex structure of this "medication".

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think using a dechlorinator plus carbon and a water change would be the best way to be sure you've removed all of this chemical since clorine is only one of the atoms included in the complex structure of this "medication".
Like I said, seems easy to mess up, especially since it's targeted towards new and/or not really informed fish owners who probably don't even know what carbon actually does, much less all the steps to take to remove this product. :/

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I emailed tetra and asked them was it safe for angels, discus & what was the main ingredient. They told me it’s a form of chlorine & that water conditioner will neutralize it.
Finally I got an answer to what lifeguard is.
Read the above abstract link I provided. It tells you exactly what it is and why the chlorine in it is 'safe' for use in the tank!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom