Yep, I have the mag float and love it. The others I have seen have a string attached to each magnet and you have to pull the string to catch the one inside the tank. They are a pain in the butt in my opinion. The mag floats are very easy to use and do a good job.
even the one I have (which is good, but supposed to be lower quality than the one you are thinking of) will do an EXCELLENT job of cleaning the glass and moves around corners very well. it looks like its gonna drop at first, but it just slides right over to the other side.. pretty nifty
I have a mag float and it is such a strong magnet that as you turn the corner in your tank the other side of the magnet will detach but you keep the dry side push against the glass and it should attract the side in the tank with the magnetic pull. I've used it and it definitely works.
If you have sand in your tank you need to be careful with them. If you get a sand particle in between the the magnet and the glass, you can scratch up your tank.
Never heard of a "magnet that cleans glass inside a tank". But it's pretty cool from what I read here. Since so many of you have it, is it something necessary to maintain a tank clean? Or is it just a preference of yours to have it? I suppose most of you have algae eaters of some kind. And that makes me think - why would you need a glass cleaning device when you already have algae eater(s). Isn't that the purpose for which we get algae eaters - to get rid of algae? Do your algae eaters do a poor job? I never had algae growing in my 30 gallon tank with only one Chinese (golden) algae eater. Besides, I think allowing some algae to grow will contribute positively to any algae eater's diet - after all, that's their natural food.
P.S. I don't quite get how this device works. I know it's the magnet that cleans algae. Does it have some handle by which you hold it while you clean the glass with it? Or does it somehow, as you said, "float" alone and does the job? If it's so strong, is it safe for fish? For example, if it moves suddenly with a force around a corner, it could easily hit a fish nearby, couldn't it? Sorry for my questions - I'm just trying to picture how this thing works.
Isabllea -- it is just a preference, you can just as well just a algae brush if you wanted and stick it in there to scrub it off, but this is just a way to "not get your hands wet. Mine moves around corners too! I thought that was totally awesome, lol. I have a good algae eater (a pleco) but sometimes a little algae will get on the front of the glass, and I will notice it during the day (he does his work at night) and I will get it off with this real fast. For cosmetic purposes, I don't like looking at the front of the tank and even seeing the slightest bit of algae.
Also, fish are so fast, the only way this thing could ccause a threat to any fish is if one of your fish were sick and not moving and you hit it. Otherwise, the fish just see it as another foreign object and they will move away from it. Another selling point is that it doesn't need much force to work properly either, you just glide it across the glass.
Thanks EmpPleco. Sounds like the little device is indeed helpful. It would be good for my 10G with algae growing in there since there is no algae eater. But, I can't do anything in there right now as it is full of tiny angelfish fry
As for my 30G, I know this "Chinese" golden algae eater has a reputation of being aggressive and sucking on other fish's slime coating - but mine never really did anything like this. And I am not trying to brag or anything of the sort, but I really can't find one algae speck anywhere on the glass of my 30G. It really is a very effective algae eater. I would never give it away. (Mine may be a rare exception since they have such a bad reputation.)
I have the one with the string attached. I didnt know why the string was there so I cut it off. No big deal its pretty easy to turn corners, I was worried that it might be too coarse but it began to soften up after a few uses. They are quite "fun" to use
Well my otos don't eat the algae that's in my tank that's on the walls, must not be the type they like so I think I will get one of these since I think it would be so much easier to clean all your walls then when ever you see algae just clean without getting your hands wet and getting things out to clean it. Anybody know why my one of my otos keeps trying to suck on my fish. I have heard of otos doing this as they are the bad otos could this be a bad oto and maybe I should consider getting rid of it?
Your otto is sucking on the slime coat of your fish. Some otos do this and some don't. You never know until you put them in your tank if they will do this. Sucking on the slime coat is not good for the fish getting sucked on, and make him prone to illness. The slime coat protects the fish, and sucking it off makes him more vulnerable to parasites. You may want to move your oto to another tank if you can.
I thought otos are peaceful algae eaters. It's usually the Chinese loach that is credited with sucking on fish's slime coating and being aggressive. I am surprised to hear otos also do that. I also thought they were effective at getting rid of algae.