Anybody have experience with double tank stands?

ChrissFishes01

Well Known
Title pretty much says it all.

Just moved into a new place, and I finally have a spare bedroom to turn into a fish room - at the girlfriend's permission. I must have found a good one! :p

I've ordered a Titaneze steel double stand for a couple 10 gallon tanks to try out, but was wondering if anyone had used something similar in the past for larger tanks. Seems like a lot of the negative reviews for these stands online are from well-meaning aquarists who have no idea which areas of the stand/bottom rim of the tank needs support, which is unfortunate, especially for these smaller tanks, since I'm fairly certain almost all of these should be fine for 10-20 gallon tanks. But, I'm looking to double up on 40 breeders and 75's, which is a bit of a different ball game. Anyone actually used these stands for tanks that big?

Also, anyone got a preferred brand of stand for a 120 (48x24)? Just a single stand, not a double.

I've built stands in the past but I'm looking for an easy solution this time round. I'm working 6 days a week, so projects are being kept to a minimum.

Thanks!

Flyfisha

Fishlore VIP
Hi ChrissFishs01

I did a quick search for the titananeze steel stands on line. I see a 1 inch steel frame with no diagonal braces.

While I live in Australia and have different brands of racks available mine are rated at 1000 kg per shelf.

1000 kg is 2200 pounds
1000 kg is 1000 litres that equals 264 gallons.
My shelf’s can in theory carry 264 gallons per shelf.
In reality with just half that weight they begin to bow down. My 8 foot wide shelf carrying two four foot tanks per shelf just looks wrong regardless of how strong it is with a bow in the shelf. That rack has only 400 kg on a 1000 kg shelf and the bend in the shelf in the middle leads me to suggest you will be dissatisfied with the look of those tiny 1 inch racks.

I urge you to use a much more substantial rack system.
47709FBC-2F25-4232-80D6-6BCC32E273A8.png
A link to an Australian hardware store that will at least show you a strong 1000 kg shelving system with multiple braces.
Rack It 1000kg 1938 x 2135 x 645mm 3 Wire Shelf Starter Kit

When just having a single tank per shelf the bow in the middle problem does not arise.

1D475B0D-2078-4F88-928F-99F333323DD6.pngThis rack is rated at just 400 kg per shelf.
Note the tub of change water on the top shelf.

BigManAquatics

Fishlore Legend
I like using utility racks when i can, for multiple smaller tanks, like 10g's or 20 longs. I usually add a sheet of plywood as well between the shelf and the tank, just feel the distribution is a littke more equal that way versus right on the steel rods. The science may say totally the other way though lol

ChrissFishes01

Well Known
I like using utility racks when i can, for multiple smaller tanks, like 10g's or 20 longs. I usually add a sheet of plywood as well between the shelf and the tank, just feel the distribution is a littke more equal that way versus right on the steel rods. The science may say totally the other way though lol
Any particular racks you use? I'm looking to set up probably 6 10's or so. My girlfriend has claimed my 20 long for her musk turtle, so I may be setting up 29's instead.

Charlyc

Any particular racks you use? I'm looking to set up probably 6 10's or so. My girlfriend has claimed my 20 long for her musk turtle, so I may be setting up 29's instead.
I use the Homedepot utility black wire racks 36" wide x 16" deep 5 tier but cut it down about a foot and use 4 tiers. They hold 350 Lbs. per shelf and I use for two 20 G long tanks with Styrofoam support underneath. I had one with a 29 g on top and a 20 g bottom. These look nice and I tie the light to the above shelf. For small tanks they are great and $89.00 at HD.

IMG_20220315_145342_01.jpg
For the 10 G you might be able to double up on the 48" wide ones but I would not go to high or over load stay way below the weight limits.

10 gallon20″ x 10″ x 12″111 lbs

20 gallon Long30″ x 12″ x 12″225 lbs

Some of the industrial racks are better made and hold more weigh but cost much more.
For larger tanks I would build with 2" x 4". Or get the stand that is rated for the tank size.

ChrissFishes01

Well Known
I use the Homedepot utility black wire racks 36" wide x 16" deep 5 tier but cut it down about a foot and use 4 tiers. They hold 350 Lbs. per shelf and I use for two 20 G long tanks with Styrofoam support underneath. I had one with a 29 g on top and a 20 g bottom. These look nice and I tie the light to the above shelf. For small tanks they are great and $89.00 at HD.

View attachment 850773
For the 10 G you might be able to double up on the 48" wide ones but I would not go to high or over load stay way below the weight limits.

10 gallon20″ x 10″ x 12″111 lbs

20 gallon Long30″ x 12″ x 12″225 lbs
How long have you had them up and running? Any complaints/tips other than putting a piece of plywood or something underneath to distribute the weight?

Charlyc

How long have you had them up and running? Any complaints/tips other than putting a piece of plywood or something underneath to distribute the weight?
They been up for 6 months now no complaints. I use Styrofoam underneath it kind of distributes the weigh and also it just helps if their is any imperfections on the tank base and it's cheap enough. If you are going to use wood I would still use the Styrofoam between the tank and wood.

Charlyc

I'm thinking of springing for this rack and removing the fourth tier:

Muscle Rack 5-Tier Heavy Duty Steel Garage Storage Shelving Unit in Black (48 in. W x 72 in. H x 24 in. D) UR-245PBB

That way I'd be able to do essentially any combination of tanks I wanted, including larger ones.
I have those at work and I thought about it but they don't look as sturdy as they say. Plus the wood (particle board or hardwood) if it gets wet it will start deteriorate. Your call you can always return if you don't like them.
Good luck cheers

Flyfisha

Fishlore VIP
If you replace the particle board with plywood, add plywood to the back as a brace and fix it to the wall it might be strong enough?

If that’s what I think it is you should have a look at one in real life before buying. Give it a wobble and you will see why it needs a brace in both directions.

Charlyc

If you replace the particle board with plywood, add plywood to the back as a brace and fix it to the wall it might be strong enough?

If that’s what I think it is you should have a look at one in real life before buying. Give it a wobble and you will see why it needs a brace in both directions.
At work we also added a brace in the middle of the shelf. I don't know where they got the 4000 Labs total capacity but the wire shelfs are rated per shelf. I would not put a Volkswagen Beetle on top of that shelf and it only weighs 3045 Lbs. That means 800 Lbs. per shelf? Read the reviews even the 5 star nobody is putting any kind of weight on them.
The ones you are using Flyfisha are true industrial and heavy duty and that's why the price. You pay for what you get.
This probably the equivalent type in The Home Depot her in the US Husky 3-Tier Heavy Duty Industrial Welded Steel Garage Storage Shelving Unit in Black (65 in. W x 54 in. H x 24 in. D) HBR652454W3
Also I would not put more than I have on my shelf even if it comes with 5 shelf's rated 350 each. I already have 550 Lbs. with the two 20 G tanks and I did have a 29 G ( 330 Lbs.) that was pushing it.
Ok gave mi opinion and I will move on cheers all.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DevBiker
Replies
Views
Beelzebubbles

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

Lucy contacted the Tetra SafeStart manufacturer to get some of the more common questions members had answered on how to use TSS correctly. See it here:
Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom