Anybody Feed Their Bettas Fruit Flies?

BranSW

Warm weather and scraps for compost equal tiny brown fruit flies around my place, and since I knew where they came from and what they were eating, I dropped a couple in the aquarium yesterday, expecting the betta -- who usually is interested in food, but not super enthusiastic -- to nibble at or possibly ignore them.

I have never seen him move that fast before. That first fruit fly took him a few seconds but the second was basically instantaneous. Adding five more to the tank sent the cardinals into a frenzy and had him racing all over the tank trying to get them all. He's been following me since, looking for more.

How nutritious are these little things? I mean, there's not enough of a supply to feed them as more than a snack, what with the cardinals, but I could toss in a few every day, and the betta sure did go for them!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
They would be great to feed in addition to your normal feedings! Just be sure to not overfeed!

Many fish are insectivores, so adding live fruit flies to their diet would be beneficial.

thepianoguy

Well Known
my home room class has TONS of fruit flies but my silly Veiltail would not eat them(or anything beside pellets)lol but my blue super delta would appreciate them!

jpm995

Well Known
Many are cautious about live foods because of possible pesticides in them, but what could be more natural? I suspect many think betta's eat tetra flakes in the wild. It's great to see them as you would in their natural habitat, hunting down their prey. I'm sure it's close to a complete diet for them.

thepianoguy

Well Known
if you could buy live food them that will be awesome !

OP
B

BranSW

Well, I'm happy enough to keep feeding them -- they're pretty much inevitable for about ten months out of the year. I think I'm going to have to get a large-ish brine shrimp net, though, they're a pain to catch by hand and they're too small for the normal fish net to hold them. I'm pretty sure I could drop a couple dozen in the tank and they'd be gone inside of ten seconds, between the tetras and the betta!

thepianoguy

Well Known
nice! you have brine shrimp? that awesome I wish I have some man!

OP
B

BranSW

Nah, I don't have brine shrimp -- yet; I'll have to start with them (and probably also vinegar eels and a few more) once I get my lyretail checkerboards, especially if I can get them to breed. And then definitely I'll need to be used to them before getting licorice gourami. But for right now the only live things getting fed are the fruit flies.

thepianoguy

Well Known
still lucky!Hey I am tight on budget and can't even catch the fruit flies!

OP
B

BranSW

IME fruit flies will show up pretty quick in kitchens that have open bowls of fruit/vegetable/bread scraps, even if the bowls are emptied every day, and *definitely* if it's a couple days between running things down to the compost. I've had problems with them from sunny central California to absolutely frigid northern Germany, so it doesn't seem to be dependent on the weather outside, either... It's usually a lot more of a pain to get *rid* of them once they show, which is why I'm happy the fish like them!

thepianoguy

Well Known
lol in my school, the garbage can are FULL of fruit flies! Thousands of them! My cute little betta would just ignore them...ohwell

jpm995

Well Known
You can culture your own fruit flies, it's pretty easy. Their the main staple diet for dart frogs. They have flightless ones [wings don't work] so they can't survive long if they escape. Josh's dart frogs sells loaded cultures [with flies] and culture kits but you can make your own. May be a bad idea to visit their sight though one addiction [fish] is enough.

LaProfeZoe

How did you catch them?
Last time I had a fruit fly invasion I used little bowls of vinegar and dish soap. It worked like a charm, but I'm not sure my betta would like the taste of that!

OP
B

BranSW

Between damp paper towels, which was faster than hands but still not as good as a very fine net.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

LaProfeZoe

You actually CAUGHT them? With your hands? How very Karate Kid I'll have to start honing my reflexes for when the summer fruit flies come back to my house

shadowfish

Well Known
I have a few springtails on top of my tank water and whenever my neons see one they go crazy!

flightless fruit flys are sold in most petstores (around here at least) and they can easily be cultured (just google it!)

OP
B

BranSW

Lol! Yeah, next step up is chopsticks -- should be good for a laugh or six!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

thepianoguy

Well Known
You actually CAUGHT them? With your hands? How very Karate Kid I'll have to start honing my reflexes for when the summer fruit flies come back to my house

LOL I used to catch those flies pretty good but when they are small, I used to catch them under 10 minutes or more. Ah those things are pretty intelligent they escape MY HANDDDDDD. lol I just used to catch them for fun. You should go see one of my classmate one time he slapped like10 fruit flies in A ROW and the hand was sooooo bloody..egh

mg13

Well Known
my betta mark will not eat anything beside the pellets, not even a different brand! I let him at a few fruit flies and he flared at them for a while, and then went and took another nap. Had to fish the soggy little drowned things out. Felt sorry for them.

thepianoguy

Well Known
lol funny my betta almost dead like a few mins ago(holly cow)

one question, how do you breed fruit flies/?

mg13

Well Known
lol funny my betta almost dead like a few mins ago(holly cow)

one question, how do you breed fruit flies/?

put a very ripe banana out on your counter for a few days. You'll have more then you want. If you want to keep them contained, you might want to get a jar with a netted lid.

OP
B

BranSW

Alternately, if dealing with the flying variety sounds like more hassle than it's worth, get a culture of wingless ones meant for small reptiles, and every so often drop a bit of fruit in and mist it with some water. That'll keep the original culture going long after the big stores say it will.

Hey All,

Has anybody fed their Betta Fish Fruit Flies before? If so what’s better “wingless” or “flightless”. What’s the best way to feed them as far as amount and so forth. Thanks so much, really want to get something live for my Bettas to eat!!

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Wingless is better IMO. My guys love earthworms though!

junebug

Fishlore Legend
I don't feed fruit flies to my fancy bettas anymore. Too many accidents with intestinal blockages. In fact I rarely even feed ff to my other fish, since I no longer need to keep fruit flies for my toads.

The main problem with fruit flies is that they come in large cultures, and your betta should only be eating one fly a day. That leaves you with a lot of extras IMO and is a waste of money.

Blackworms are my go=to live food for all fish, not just bettas. But bettas do absolutely love them, for sure.

They also like bloodworms as a treat, and mosquito larvae, but as bloodworms and larvae are... well... larvae... that sometimes presents an issue.

corywand

Well Known
They also like bloodworms as a treat, and mosquito larvae, but as bloodworms and larvae are... well... larvae... that sometimes presents an issue.
What do bloodworms grow into, if they’re larvae?

BettaFishyLuvr

Well Known
I don't feed fruit flies to my fancy bettas anymore. Too many accidents with intestinal blockages. In fact I rarely even feed ff to my other fish, since I no longer need to keep fruit flies for my toads.

The main problem with fruit flies is that they come in large cultures, and your betta should only be eating one fly a day. That leaves you with a lot of extras IMO and is a waste of money.

Blackworms are my go=to live food for all fish, not just bettas. But bettas do absolutely love them, for sure.

My boys and girl go nuts for the mosquito larvae, but ya it is....yeah
Wingless is better IMO. My guys love earthworms though!
Aren’t earthworms very large tho? How do the bettas eat them? Do u cut them up? (Wondering cuz I have a large tank full of them for a pet I plan to get in the future)

delete999

Well Known
I've done this and wingless are better. Don't forget to hit the container on something before opening the culture or else you'll end up with a carpet full of flies like mine.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
You have to chop earthworms for smaller fish.

The thing to keep in mind when feeding a betta is that their anal vent is pretty small for their size.... way smaller than their mouth. And they swallow their food whole, so it doesn't get broken up. With hard foods, this can sometimes mean that they get a blockage. Which is why I don't feed fruit flies anymore LOL.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
My boys and girl go nuts for the mosquito larvae, but ya it is....yeah

Aren’t earthworms very large tho? How do the bettas eat them? Do u cut them up? (Wondering cuz I have a large tank full of them for a pet I plan to get in the future)
I cut them up and throw them in.

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
I never had any blockage issues with fruit flies - quite the opposite. I used wingless, and have cultured them quite a few times.

Eventually, the cultures tend to develop wings again, and then I blame the last batch of bananas we bought.

I never had a bloodworm make to the midge stage here. Fish love them too much.

Where do you get your blackworms? & is their a certain type that is better than others? How big are they? Similar to Bloodworms in size?

junebug

Fishlore Legend
As far as I know there is only one "type" of blackworms. You can get frozen bloodworms at your local petco, which would be almost as good.

I am fortunate enough to have a few privately owned local shops that carry blackworms on a regular basis, and sell them in small portions.

As far as I know there is only one "type" of blackworms. You can get frozen bloodworms at your local petco, which would be almost as good.

I am fortunate enough to have a few privately owned local shops that carry blackworms on a regular basis, and sell them in small portions.

Ok I’ll check my Petco or LFS.

If I do live blackworms don’t I run the risk of parasites/diseases?

junebug

Fishlore Legend
If I do live blackworms don’t I run the risk of parasites/diseases?

I've never had any disease transfer from live foods, and most of my fish eat live foods almost explicitly (and all of them get them on occasion at the very least). That said, if the worms aren't dark, and wiggly, don't feed them (it usually means they're dead/sick). You can start your own clean culture if you want, with daily water changes and life on a dark shelf somewhere. Some people keep cultures in the fridge.

I've never had any disease transfer from live foods, and most of my fish eat live foods almost explicitly (and all of them get them on occasion at the very least). That said, if the worms aren't dark, and wiggly, don't feed them (it usually means they're dead/sick). You can start your own clean culture if you want, with daily water changes and life on a dark shelf somewhere. Some people keep cultures in the fridge.

Great info, I appreciate the help!

redmare

Well Known
I keep dart frogs as well as fish so I have fruit fly cultures. Could I feed a few to my betta? I've read really mixed stuff online about this.

JamesVader

I have caught fruit flys and given them to my betta and he loved them so I think it’s fine

Diane 007

Well Known
IMO that betta will love them..go for it!

aquaticamanda

id say its safe as long as they come from you culturing them, not being caught outside for potential diseases and infections! same for any other bug or larvae!

redmare

Well Known
id say its safe as long as they come from you culturing them, not being caught outside for potential diseases and infections! same for any other bug or larvae!
I buy the cultures from my lf(pet)s, does that count?

BlackOsprey

Well Known
Yes, purchased flies are perfectly safe. Go for it, fruit flies are probably one of the best foods you can give a betta.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CichlidJynx
Replies
Views
squashedbananas206
Replies
Views
BettaBoomer

Did You Know...

If you would like to learn more about your fellow members we have an "interview" section where you can request to be interviewed!
Member Interviews Forum

Aquarium Calculator

Desktop
Top Bottom