Anybody else perk up when people start talking about fish?

1. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

I know I do! I ALWAYS find myself sitting with a group of people, zoning out as they talk about all the drama that's going on (while I could care less about), then when fish is brought up, I can't stop talking and people think I'm a freak. lol.

Clearly, somebody loves fish :;banaman

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

My husband says I have a hobby that has gone horribly awry. I think I know a little too much about fish (not enough for the Forum, but too much for my friends) and talk too much about fish for normal company. It is really sad when you find yourself hanging around the fish section in Petco to give people advise and talk about fish.

3. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

I know exactly what you mean. My cichlids keep having babies, so my mom asks me, "how do they breed?" I'm thinking, "oh, great, I'm going to sound like a freak!" So I explain, and she just stares at me. The next day she was with her friend, and she says, "Emily, tell Kelly how your cichlids breed." Really?? So I tell her, and what does she do? She laughs! Both she and my mother have no clue what I'm talking about when I talk fish. Then I come onto fishlore, and realize that I can't answer half the questions posted!

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah im right there with ya, get a fish conversation going and it goes on for hours lol people look at alot of us a little weird, esspecially when we start talking about having 5+ tanks

5. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

I definitely do! Even my parents think I'm a little odd lol. My mum tried communicating by asking me a question about fish and the answer came out about three pages long, explaining the nitrogen cycle... Oops! :giggle:

6. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Well, I try to, however most of the conversationas go like this:
    " oh yeah, I have pet fish too. We have a 10 gal tank, with a cool bubling clam thing...(blah , blah balh) and we have______( fill in the blank with 25 fish all to big for the tank) ."

DidnKt bother me at first, I was eager to share my knowledge. But no one realy cares , all I get is a shrug and " if they die, I'll just buy more". I have now gently switched my tatctic to suggesting they visit fishlore, but no one has showed up yet.

I also get lost of disbaliving looks "you have how many tanks?" Or " how much did those cost again?" But everyonce in a while I find someone who likes to learn little random facts about different fish.

My only current really enjoyable fish conversations outside of fishlore is with a coworker I am helping to design ( aquascape and stock, not the tank its self) 2 tanks for.

7. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I use fancy talk. When asked what I do I state that I aquascape. What's that? Then I explain my hobby while drawing them in with questions.

8. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Sure am glad people don't think I am a freak or weird., bwhahahahahah!!!!!!

9. ploopy Member Member

All the time.

10. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Exactly ;) lol

just kidding of course :)

11. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

:;hug2

12. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Certainly do, but I don't like getting into conversations, most people don't understand that it's more than just water and fish

13. Ethan Well Known Member Member

I can never really talk to people about fish other then random petco employess or my little (12yearold brother). my dad and mom both find my fish addiction pretty useless. but i take pride in designing a tank where a living thing can thrive i dont know why they dont understand it :D

14. tpasser2 Member Member

My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy because I will think about my fish in situations in public. For example when I was at dinner and my salad was served, I mentioned how the cucumber slice could be taken home and fed to my otos... At least I have one friend who is also crazy about fish lol

15. AdoraDora Member Member

lol yes!

My employees refer to me as a "fish nerd"
    and whenever I'm in a super good mood they crack jokes like "oooh someone must have got some new fish stuff today"
    but tbh they all love hearing about it and ask for pictures all the time and stuff. Even though they don't know what i am talking about most of the time.

It is contagious though. I rubbed off on my boyfriend. First it was "I want a fish tank now *pouty face*" so he got a ten gallon.
    Then it was "i want more koi fish for the pond" and i say "you sure you have room for them in there?" (one of his koi's is a monster some kind of white and grey "ghost koi" its over 15 inches long) then he says "I want a bigger pond then" So extends the pond so he can get more koi.
    Theeeeen it was "I want more fishies" and i say "You cant put more fish in that 10 gallon babe" *pouty face*
    "buy another fish tank" so he gets a 20 gallon
    then its "I want big fishes like yours! so i tell him "buy a big fish tank"
    now we keep talking about that lol. my mts has spread to his house so I get to design tanks in two different places lol because hes "not artistic enough and your(i'm) really talented at this"

16. luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

Whenever there is a restuarant I ask to sit by the fish. Oddly enough last summer I ate at a local restuarant who a good friend of mine who's family I was picking up are good friends with the owners. When I came to get them they were sitting by a cichlid tank and he told the owner I was pretty serious about fishkeeping. When the owner told me how it looked I said good but 4 of the fish had ICH and two also had fin rot. He told me the man who takes care of my fish tanks said that the fish were supposed to be colored like that and had thin fins. I also reccomened higher bulbs for plant growth.

A while later 1 or 2 months later I went back with my friend just to get lunch for the two of us. When the owner stopped by to say hi he told me everyone liked the new plants and the fish were more active. He gave us lunch on the house. Also somebody else was taking care of the fish.

So yeah I see myself giving out advise while looking around petco for things. My motto is critical advise is the strongest.

17. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

That's so cool!

There aren't many restaurants near me that have fish tanks. The only one I can think of is the rainforest cafe in the Mall of America, and that's a bit too far out of my way. At least there I don't have to worry about trying to get a spot near the fish, because they're all near the fish!

18. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

I think my coworkers think I'm even more crazy. Eventually everyone starts to wonder why I seal apple cores in shrinkwrap after I'm finished eating them. I've gotten some pretty strange looks when I tell them it's to keep them from making a mess when I take them home to feed to my roach colony. I think my fish love makes me look more normal in comparison :D

19. luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

just make sure they no the roaches are in cages and not all over your house

20. tankaddict Member Member

My boyfriend blames himself for my hobby. It started out with him busting one of my tanks, so I made him replace it. So he bought me a 30 gal setup. Then we just started buying up all of the tanks that were good deals. Now I've got a 30gal, fully setup, a 20 gal fully set up, four 10gals fully set up, a 6.5gal fully setup, and two 2.5gal fully setup, along with a 55gal and a 40gal in the process of being setup, a 30gal quarantine for pond goldfish, and my stored tanks that are- three 10gals, two 20gals, a 30gal, and a 40gal.

The fish keeping hobby can bring so many people together! I finally met some of my boyfriend's family. Found out his grandpa loves fish. I was nervous to meet him, and after our second meeting, I'm supposed to go pick up 4 free cichlids! Lol