Anybody Else Own a Peacock Eel?

Zach72202

Just curious as to if others have this little feller. I picked mine up at a petsmart of all places and he is doing great, a little fat now, but doing good!

He is currently in QT (Observation, no meds) with a few other recent additions and he always hides. This really isn't an issue for me, I did expect this. I know it will get better with time. I dig him up every few days just to make sure though as he is still new. Sometimes I see him in early morning.

I know he is going to get about a foot long in time, and I keep all my tanks sand bottom, so that isn't an issue, but I am thinking about tankmates. He will probably find residence in a 40B tank with some type of larger cory species, at least I am hoping. I am thinking he will probably mind his own business.

Does anybody else have this fish? If so what is your tank and tankmates for him?

Thanks for reading!

shattles10

I have a half banded spiny eel which is very similar! I keep him with a clown pleco, school of large tetras, and a gold gourami in a 75 gallon tank. I’m also trying to figure out tank mates as well.

Attachments

• 15E76F22-BB73-4C33-8B47-6B4C60A9A6CC.jpeg
    15E76F22-BB73-4C33-8B47-6B4C60A9A6CC.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

Zach72202

Mine right now lives with a lot of cory's. He hides a lot, but I see his nose sticking out of the sand sometimes

Upvote 0

Catappa

Just curious as to if others have this little feller. I picked mine up at a petsmart of all places and he is doing great, a little fat now, but doing good!

He is currently in QT (Observation, no meds) with a few other recent additions and he always hides. This really isn't an issue for me, I did expect this. I know it will get better with time. I dig him up every few days just to make sure though as he is still new. Sometimes I see him in early morning.

I know he is going to get about a foot long in time, and I keep all my tanks sand bottom, so that isn't an issue, but I am thinking about tankmates. He will probably find residence in a 40B tank with some type of larger cory species, at least I am hoping. I am thinking he will probably mind his own business.

Does anybody else have this fish? If so what is your tank and tankmates for him?

Thanks for reading!
I bought a Peacock eel back in the 'seventies, when they were quite rare in the aquarium trade. It lived for at least eight years and was a favorite of mine, with a real personality! I kept him in a large (I can't remember how many liters/gallons -- but the tank was probably about 150 cm long). It was a community tank, but that was so long ago, I can't remember his tankmates, aside from some kind of dwarf frog (also fairly uncommon, back then) and an even rarer transparent shrimp, which could have been an Amano shrimp, but was at least 3 inches. I always kept rare/unusual aquarium critters!

Back then, I think I only kept gravel in my tank and grew some plants. The eel would hide under the gravel with only his "snout" poking out and he would often uproot the plants. It was a game for my children to try to spot his hiding place, but he was a master of camouflage. At night, when the tank lights were out, he became very active and would swim around the tank.

Here's a previous post from me: New fire eel | Oddball Fish Forum | 491457

Thanks for reading!
I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea or not to keep him with Cories. My own rule is to only have one kind of bottom-dwelling fish so they don't have territorial problems.

Upvote 0

Zach72202

I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea or not to keep him with Cories. My own rule is to only have one kind of bottom-dwelling fish so they don't have territorial problems.

Good info, thank you. Right now he's only like 3 inches so I'm not too concerned about any aggression, and besides Cory's are the most peaceful fish I own

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
JasmineY
Replies
Views
natalia1468
  • Question
Replies
Views