Anybody Else Have Chopstick Snails?

ELON MOLLUSK

Valued Member
Reaction score
T
Holl said:
Oooo! No, but those are cool
they are pretty cool , they burrow through your substrate and aerate it! I was originally supposed to be getting white spotted towuti snails but was actually ripped off by this Arizona aqua company and received these guys instead . I still have found them quite interesting and fun to watch.

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ELON MOLLUSK said:
T

they are pretty cool , they burrow through your substrate and aerate it! I was originally supposed to be getting white spotted towuti snails but was actually ripped off by this Arizona aqua company and received these guys instead . I still have found them quite interesting and fun to watch.
Are they kind of like MTS?

ELON MOLLUSK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah in a way I suppose they are. Mts are native to Africa and Asia and chopsticks are in Indonesian Sulawesi lake systems , however they do act the same in many ways. I’m pretty sure they are in the same family and are viviparous as well .

ELON MOLLUSK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Dakotablue said:
I know this is an old thread, but have you had any offspring from the chopstick snails?
No luck so far . I have yet to set my larger brackish tank. They release veligers which are larval forms and will not survive in freshwater. This is definitely on my to do list! These guys have amazing character and do a wonderful cleanup job!

Dakotablue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ah, that sounds like a lot of work, but the success would be worth it! I'd buy some babies off you if you ever managed to succeed. Thanks for the update.

ELON MOLLUSK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Dakotablue said:
Ah, that sounds like a lot of work, but the success would be worth it! I'd buy some babies off you if you ever managed to succeed. Thanks for the update.
Yes it takes a lot but like you said it will be worth it if I ever work out the kinks, I’m trying the same thing with nerites as well. The benefit with nerites is that you know when they lay eggs obviously but chopsticks are ovoviparous and have a brood pouch so you never know when they are going to release these veligers. You will be the first to get them if I accomplish such a task lol.

Fishcat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Can you put me on the list if you get them to breed? Aquatic Arts is out of stock and, well, I don’t plan to order anything from Arizona aquatics.
And I have to agree - your name is awesome.

ELON MOLLUSK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fishcat said:
Can you put me on the list if you get them to breed? Aquatic Arts is out of stock and, well, I don’t plan to order anything from Arizona aquatics.
And I have to agree - your name is awesome.
Of course my friend, yeah aquatic arts never seems to have them in stock. I can’t stress this enough DO NOT purchase anything from Arizona aquatic gardens. I’m a resident of Arizona and know all about this scam artist. Thanks I appreciate the compliment lol. It’ll probably be a month or 2 before I even set up the breeder tank because it literally has to have nothing but chopsticks in it so that I know exactly when they release veligers so that I can isolate them to near saltwater and other salinities to figure out what they do best in. There is very little information on these snails and no known cases ( that I’m aware of) being successful in the endeavor but I’m certainly going to put almost 100% of my focus on them when I get that setup.

ELON MOLLUSK

Valued Member
Reaction score
ValerieAdams said:
Hey guys, fyi Aquatic Arts has them in stock right now
I just purchased some Faunus ater from them recently and it seems like they are getting more exotic snails in consistently! This is awesome news for me lol. They must have found a reliable distributor. I was seconds away from buying the pagoda snails while they had them in stock and was having phome issues at the time and they went from fully stocked to all gone right in front of my eyes........ I died a lil bit inside lol. This winter since I won’t be shipping many ramshorn snails I’ll be focusing a lot on possible getting these snails (Faunus ater) lava snails and (stenomelania torulosa) chopstick snails to breed. I’ve done 100s of hours of calculations and research to try and pull this off successfully. This includes extensive study on their native habitats and scientific laboratories that speacialize in snails that release veligers and glochidia (larval stages) . We are getting closer people! I don’t want to dive into an experiment like this without the best idea of what I’m trying to accomplish and how I am going to reach those goals.

Fishcat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I wanted the pagoda snails so much, but no room at the moment, darn it.
I am very curious about the ghost wizard piano snail, too. Is that somehow its actual name, rather than a random dictionary grab, and if so why?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom