Anybody Can Tell Me What’s Up With These Java Fern?

  • Thread starter

Frozen One

Valued Member
Messages
333
Reaction score
87
Points
38
Experience
Just started
So I have some java fern in my 10 gallon tank and I’m no expert in taking care of them, they seem to be doing fine and they’re “reproducing” but there’s a ton of brown spots all of my plants.. I’ll put a pic below
Image1523643916.631323.jpg
 

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Messages
1,331
Reaction score
549
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
the brown spots are repoductive spores. think of them like ferns. eventually you will have plantlets sprouting from these spots on the leaves.
 

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Messages
336
Reaction score
174
Points
73
Experience
1 year
I have a similar thing on my java ferns. Almost all the leaves died off when I first brought it home. Now only the older leave still show the brown spots and I assume they're dying and just trim them off. Not sure if this is the case for you, but I assumed mine to be old leaves dying.

Edit: and apparently I was ninja'd and am wrong lol. Nevermind me.
 
  • Thread starter

Frozen One

Valued Member
Messages
333
Reaction score
87
Points
38
Experience
Just started
DutchAquarium said:
the brown spots are repoductive spores. think of them like ferns. eventually you will have plantlets sprouting from these spots on the leaves.
That’s good, so then in theory there’s nothing to worry about right?

Kyleena696 said:
I have a similar thing on my java ferns. Almost all the leaves died off when I first brought it home. Now only the older leave still show the brown spots and I assume they're dying and just trim them off. Not sure if this is the case for you, but I assumed mine to be old leaves dying.
Well I have java fern in my 3 gallon as well and they did turn brown when reproducing but not to this extent so I didn’t want to do anything drastic, ya know?
 

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Messages
932
Reaction score
744
Points
138
Experience
1 year
That's a nice tree right there.
 

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Messages
336
Reaction score
174
Points
73
Experience
1 year
I understand that. I didn't realize they browned when reproducing, that's very interesting. Anyone know why?

And I think the only thing to worry about would be what to do with the new plants
 
  • Thread starter

Frozen One

Valued Member
Messages
333
Reaction score
87
Points
38
Experience
Just started
JoeCamaro said:
That's a nice tree right there.
Thank you! Yeah when I saw it online I thought it would great in a little 10 gallon. It’s driftwood that was carved in to the shape of a tree. If you have bigger tanks they make them in larger sizes. I snagged it for $52 & Free Shipping
 

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Messages
1,331
Reaction score
549
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
evolution is my best answer. as for the plantlets, i leave them on till they are about 3 inches, that way they are easier to work with.
 

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Messages
932
Reaction score
744
Points
138
Experience
1 year
Jake21 said:
Thank you! Yeah when I saw it online I thought it would great in a little 10 gallon. It’s driftwood that was carved in to the shape of a tree. If you have bigger tanks they make them in larger sizes. I snagged it for $52 & Free Shipping
That's a great idea!
I just put a big piece of driftwood in my tank and attached anubias nana and java moss to it.
 
  • Thread starter

Frozen One

Valued Member
Messages
333
Reaction score
87
Points
38
Experience
Just started
Kyleena696 said:
I understand that. I didn't realize they browned when reproducing, that's very interesting. Anyone know why?

And I think the only thing to worry about would be what to do with the new plants
Image1523645182.923101.jpg

Lol talk about reproducing and not knowing what to do with the new ones, also say hello to Peach my CrownTail (it’s a girl)

JoeCamaro said:
That's a great idea!
I just put a big piece of driftwood in my tank and attached anubias nana and java moss to it.
I bet that looks sick, yeah if you’re ever interested the website I bought it from has TONS of driftwood. It’s called ‘Bonsai Driftwood’ you’ll see it pop up on a google search
 

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Messages
932
Reaction score
744
Points
138
Experience
1 year
Jake21 said:
I bet that looks sick, yeah if you’re ever interested the website I bought it from has TONS of driftwood. It’s called ‘Bonsai Driftwood’ you’ll see it pop up on a google search
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.
 
  • Thread starter

Frozen One

Valued Member
Messages
333
Reaction score
87
Points
38
Experience
Just started
JoeCamaro said:
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.
No problem, unfortunately I have driftwood in the 10 gallon so no pleco allowed :/ lol
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom