Anybody Can Tell Me What’s Up With These Java Fern?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Frozen One, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Frozen One

Frozen OneValued MemberMember

So I have some java fern in my 10 gallon tank and I’m no expert in taking care of them, they seem to be doing fine and they’re “reproducing” but there’s a ton of brown spots all of my plants.. I’ll put a pic below Image1523643916.631323.jpg

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

the brown spots are repoductive spores. think of them like ferns. eventually you will have plantlets sprouting from these spots on the leaves.

3. Kyleena696

Kyleena696Valued MemberMember

I have a similar thing on my java ferns. Almost all the leaves died off when I first brought it home. Now only the older leave still show the brown spots and I assume they're dying and just trim them off. Not sure if this is the case for you, but I assumed mine to be old leaves dying.

Edit: and apparently I was ninja'd and am wrong lol. Nevermind me.

4. OP
    OP
    Frozen One

That’s good, so then in theory there’s nothing to worry about right?

Well I have java fern in my 3 gallon as well and they did turn brown when reproducing but not to this extent so I didn’t want to do anything drastic, ya know?

5. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaroWell Known MemberMember

That's a nice tree right there.

6. Kyleena696

Kyleena696Valued MemberMember

I understand that. I didn't realize they browned when reproducing, that's very interesting. Anyone know why?

And I think the only thing to worry about would be what to do with the new plants

7. OP
    OP
    Frozen One

Thank you! Yeah when I saw it online I thought it would great in a little 10 gallon. It’s driftwood that was carved in to the shape of a tree. If you have bigger tanks they make them in larger sizes. I snagged it for $52 & Free Shipping

8. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

evolution is my best answer. as for the plantlets, i leave them on till they are about 3 inches, that way they are easier to work with.

9. JoeCamaro

That's a great idea!
    I just put a big piece of driftwood in my tank and attached anubias nana and java moss to it.

10. OP
    OP
    Frozen One

Image1523645182.923101.jpg
    Lol talk about reproducing and not knowing what to do with the new ones, also say hello to Peach my CrownTail (it’s a girl)

I bet that looks sick, yeah if you’re ever interested the website I bought it from has TONS of driftwood. It’s called ‘Bonsai Driftwood’ you’ll see it pop up on a google search

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  11. JoeCamaro

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

12. OP
    OP
    Frozen One

No problem, unfortunately I have driftwood in the 10 gallon so no pleco allowed :/ lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice