Question Any1 Successfully Beat Staghorn?

JamieLu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I noticed the staghorn about a month ago and posted a thread about it. I only have hornwort and anacharis (1 tiny java fern too) but it started on my hornwort and I had to trash a bunch of it. I'm not sure why its only in my 75gal, not in my 20gal which has the same hornwort from the same store as well. Its starting to affect my anacharis and moving across the tank. Anyway I was wondering if anyone has successfully got rid of it in their tank? I plan to get some excel this weekend and today am starting the break time for my lighting. I was advised not to use h202 since hornwort is a bit fragile. Would adding a fert do anythin? Any help as to what else I can try would b appreciated. Id rather not throw away the rest of the plants

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’ve fortunately not had to battle stag horn but I think turning your lights off and spot dosing it with excel may be a good place to start. Good luck!

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
1) How long are your lights on for each day?
2) Are you dosing any fertilizers?
3) What percentage of water do you change out each week?
4) What is your feeding schedule?

Just an FYI, Excel will melt Anacharis and Vals.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm fighting some right now, I was told the best way to get rid of it for good is to up your CO2 to ~30ppm+. Well, I don't have a CO2 setup and my tank should never get such a high level without one, so right now I'm just wiping it off and debating whether a short blackout will be more harmful to the plants than the algae

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
nikm128 said:
I'm fighting some right now, I was told the best way to get rid of it for good is to up your CO2 to ~30ppm+. Well, I don't have a CO2 setup and my tank should never get such a high level without one, so right now I'm just wiping it off and debating whether a short blackout will be more harmful to the plants than the algae
Can confirm that you get it even with high CO2.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
nikm128 said:
What is "high" to you? How would you suggest getting rid of it then?
Over 30ppm.

With mine, manual removal and spot dosing with Excel has been the only way I've been able to successfully kill it.

OP
JamieLu

JamieLu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fahn said:
1) How long are your lights on for each day?
2) Are you dosing any fertilizers?
3) What percentage of water do you change out each week?
4) What is your feeding schedule?

Just an FYI, Excel will melt Anacharis and Vals.
I keep my lights on for 6hrs a day, tho it does get a bit of sun thro the window in the morning (not directly) and no fertz. I change 50% every week and I feed once a day, skipping one day a week. And thanks for reminding me of the anacharis, I actually remember reading that on this forum before.

New Threads