any1 had any experience of pet rats?

Caitlin Rose

Reaction score
I have had a few rats and I would say they can be good pets in the right home, but they can be very bad too! They are very smart and need lots of attention. More than one male and you may have trouble... I believe one of my rats was killed by a bully that I got at the same time :..( They need lots of stimulation, and need a safe place to run around as they are very curious. These are not pets to sit in a cage all day!!! They are great for people who want a traveling companion who is friendly and super smart (and who doesn't mind the constant pee dribble everywhere ). They are bad pets for people who don't have a lot of time (with little attention these smart critters soon learn to punish the owner and they can become viscious if not given proper time and care), don't like have stinky things crawling all over them (rats are very clean, but pee everywhere) and also people who have cats or dogs... you may lose your little buddy . ALSO they are often short lived and tend to get tumors-This can be a very sad pet to keep as people who love their rats usually must deal with loss in 5 to as little as 2 years!!! Hope that helps!

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Caitlin Rose said:
They are great for people who want a traveling companion who is friendly and super smart (and who doesn't mind the constant pee dribble everywhere ).
Traveling companion?! That is freakin ausome! Will they sit on your shoulder when you're like drivin around in the car?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That would be sweet, just you'd have to make sure the car didn't overheat at stops...and the rat had somewhere to go to the bathroom...and he couldn't get into trouble while you are out of the car...and the car would have to be totally rodent-proofed...

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had a lab rat that I rescued from my university some time back, Seth, They are so smart and he would follow me everywhere, he knew when it was lunch or supper time, cos he used to get scraps. He never had an enclosed cage as such, he was free to go where ever he pleased. He was so good and never left the house. He sat and watched T.V with me and would sleep in my jacket pocket if we went out. His tail didnt bother me at all, I thought it gave him personality, almost like a dog. I miss him though, he died a year ago, I think he was really old - hed been at uni for many years when I found him. But would get one any day but my husband has never had the pleasure of getting to know one and refuses to have one...

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've had rats, and they are very sweet, adorable, loving and intelligent pets. I've only had the "classic" type of rat, but love the look of the rex and dumbo also.

Look at this sweet face.........

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
OMG SunnShadow ... that is SUCH A CUTE rat !!! My sister's rat looks exactly the same, lol. I love rats, they're so smart and cute (I don't mind the tail AT ALL).

Kerryve ... that is such a sweet story I'm glad you rescued the rat and that it had such a good life with you. Unfortunately, my sister can't let the rat run freely around the house, but she probably would love to be able to do that (we have 2 cats, so ... no need to say anything further, lol). Actually, a while ago, my sister also sort of rescued a rodent. It was a tiny white mouse that was to be fed to a snake at her school. My sister just took it without asking anyone and brought it home. The mouse lived about 2-3 years with us and it was lovely. I am glad she took it home - better than a snake's belly! At least the mouse had a life (better short one than none).

I would never want to have any animal at home that feeds on other live animals - I could not bear to watch it eat a live creature. NEVER. I don't know how people can keep snakes at home and watch them eat live mice - rodents are pets themselves. This is sick. I couldn't even keep fish that eat other fish.

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my daughter's rats to have their babies so I can bring home two little girls. Rats, in my opinion, are the third best house pet to have, falling just below dogs and cats. Maybe even better than dogs and cats, since not everyone has room for bigger pets, but everyone can find room in their house and heart for a little ratty.
I'd actually prefer a male, since they seem to bond more and are so laid back. But I'm not sure you can keep two males together once they're adults. I'll have to look into that.

I'm really looking forward to having ratties again.............. ;D

Sara

molly lover

Reaction score
I have had 11 hamsters (No they all didn't die! One of them had 10 babies and we got her from a all male store! And we got them at different times) and 5 gerbils and a rat once with me the hamsters were the best. They smell worce and they don't pee on you when you pick them up like my rat did! lol and my gerbils are really skitish it took me 3 or 4 years for just one of them to get on my hand. You have to really careful when you have a cold, I didn't go near any of them and made my mom take care of them for a while. You can train the hamsters to use litter boxes which helps alot! My mother hamster I had a very speical bond with and I atually taught her a trick (come and it was really helpful when she escaped too!)

softballchica951

Reaction score
Rats are amazing!!! My mom is a science teacher so we had anything from pet rats to pet madagascar hissing cockroaches. The rats were so much fun they were cleaner than any guinea pigs or sugar gliders that we had. The only problems that we had were with cancer. One thing that you have to watch is siblings mating. That happened to us lets just say that it wasnt pretty cause they didnt have the normal instincts that rats should have. Anyways they are amazing and so much fun!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom