Any way I can reduce gill inflammation in betta fish?

alexk77

Tonight, I had an emergency. Had recharged purigen, no longer smelled like chlorine, but caused a huge ammonia spike - about 2 ppm - in my poor betta’s 5 gallon. Thankfully, i caught the sight of his swollen gills early, he was in toxic water for about 45 minutes. I had to completely replace his water with water from my 50 gallon- which was already the same temperature my betta is used to. It’s been about an hour, he seems to be doing alright but his gills are still swollen from the ammonia poisoning. I’ve thrown out the purigen.
Does anyone know how long it will take if/when his gills will go down? Is there anything I can do to help reduce this swelling? The tank is planted.

BigManAquatics

Frequent partial water changes really. Time and clean water are the only treatment i know of.

fishydaddy

I'm not sure if there's anything you can do to immediately help gill inflammation aside from neutralizing the ammonia immediately. Epsom salt may help reduce swelling/edema from the inflammation, but it also may stress your little guy out more as it changes a fishes osmoregulatory balance. I would lightly aerate the tank if not done already as it may be more difficult for your betta to absorb oxygen if their gills and possibly their labyrinth organ are inflamed.

alexk77

I'm not sure if there's anything you can do to immediately help gill inflammation aside from neutralizing the ammonia immediately. Epsom salt may help reduce swelling/edema from the inflammation, but it also may stress your little guy out more as it changes a fishes osmoregulatory balance. I would lightly aerate the tank if not done already as it may be more difficult for your betta to absorb oxygen if their gills and possibly their labyrinth organ are inflamed.
I don’t currently have an airstone but I set my filter to move faster than usual, even though i know bettas don’t prefer that. It isn’t going crazy fast but there is water movement at the surface
He isn’t going up frequently for air, in fact he is just swimming around and hanging out mid to low ground. I’m hoping his gills aren’t too damaged since i caught the ammonia spike early, and i’m not seeing signs of a lack of oxygen.
Will do water changes very often for the time being. Thanks for the input!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dunk2
10 Gallon Tank Betta gill sticking out.
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
mcdon1bl
Replies