Any Tricks Of The Trade?

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm setting up my first ever bracking tank to breed some Red Racer Nerite snails. It's going to be in a spare 5 gallon I have-- it's currently cycling as a freshwater but I figured when it's done cycling, I can add in the salt (I have a small box of Instant Ocean). I plan on ordering a refractometer but I'm not sure how to use it or if there's any tips or lessons learned anyone can share with me before I go down this road.

I plan on only using this for a couple months until i get some babies (unless I get addicted to it, which I have a feeling I might.)

I have Carib Sea Moonsand, three dragon stones, a filter, a light and a heater (that I don't think I'll need to use the heater for this purpose; tank has been staying around 70 degrees).

I'm not super sure how water changes work with this process so I guess that's where I need the most advise.

Thanks!

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One thing I will add is to go ahead and add your salt now while it’s cycling. If you add it all in suddenly after you’ve cycled you can shock the bacteria and kill a huge portion of them

OP
L

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One thing I will add is to go ahead and add your salt now while it’s cycling. If you add it all in suddenly after you’ve cycled you can shock the bacteria and kill a huge portion of them
I ended up unplugging the filter for a while (ending the cycling) so when I pick this back up I will 100% do that. makes total sense! thanks

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There's a fine line between brackish and marine. Low brackish have the same bacteria as freshwater. High brackish is marine bacteria.

Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom