Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Any Toxic Effects Possible From Reusing Dried Out Bio-wheels? Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Señor Pescado, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Señor PescadoValued MemberMember

I am currently setting up my first (10 gallon) quarantine tank, and I purchased a Marineland, Bio-Wheel Penguin 75 hob filter. This tank will probably run only when needed for adding new stock and/or treating sick fish. I am wondering about any ill effects from running the bio-wheel in the cycled tank, letting all the bacteria dry out and die when the tank & filter are not in use, and then using that same bio-wheel again. I know that I can purchase a new one, but I am really looking for some good, educated or experienced opinions about whether I even need to worry about it. Thanks.

2. bryangarWell Known MemberMember

I never had a problem with reusing those wheels. I have a bunch of old ones that I used to dry and reuse, but eventually swapped them out for some plastic canvas cut to fit where the wheel normally is.

3. Señor PescadoValued MemberMember

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of reply I was looking for. As for the mod: is the plastic canvas just 'dragging' over the water outlet? Is it just as effective as the wheel?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  4. bryangarWell Known MemberMember

yeah, no need to worry, as long as its kept away from chemicals. then it’s safe to reuse.

i’m not sure of the purpose of the wheel. It splashes too much and dries up instantly when the filter gets turned off. I’ll post a picture tomorrow, it’s basically just a tiny piece that goes where the wheels usually is. I mostly use it to slow the waterfall down.