Any Tips Or Info? Help

Discussion in 'Arowana' started by Harlan12, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Harlan12

Harlan12Valued MemberMember

Hello, I'll just get to the point. In about 2-3 months I'll be getting my first arowana tank. I have some background information but I would like information on what to expect from someone with personal experience. I've become very interested in leichardti arowana but can't find any sellers.
    I know this is asking alot but any general knowledge could help. Thanks!

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

I've see them on aquabid periodically, i checked now and currently they don't have them. What is it you like about the leichardti? If your a collector you might want to look for them but if you just like them for looks, what about a jardini?

3. OP
    OP
    Harlan12

I like the leichardti because of how it resembles a Asian aro ( in US so that's a no go) and it is also less aggressive than jardinis. I took in a large common pleco and that will be it's home.

4. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

I've never seen leichardti in the "custom colors" you see in asians. i think your closet to an asian is the jardinis which you can find quite a few designer colors out their. If your just planning on a common plecostomus, the jardinis would be fine.

5. OP
    OP
    Harlan12

I've looked into jardinis also. I like the body shape and colors but the attitude I've heard jardinis have is worrying. Also, black arowanas, are they any different than dark silver arowana? And what size tank is suitable?

6. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

silver arowana are a bit more pinkish in the tail, almost transluscent in my opinion. Blacks are a bit darker in the tail region, but they also have an orange line around the fins. The tails for black when older get pointy while the silvers remain rounded a bit.

7. OP
    OP
    Harlan12

This is probably a bad question but, I heard that because silver and black arowanas are thinner they can be in the same size tank as jardinis, is this true or just misinformation?

8. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

That's going to depend on the size of the aquarium and how many arowana you have in the aquarium. All arowana in general will fight unless you have enough to disperse agression. However, the south american species of arowana might not work with the old world arowana since they appear to be less agressive.

9. OP
    OP
    Harlan12

Well I was planning on a 180 gallon but I may go bigger if needed. I will also ensure a large pond if needed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice