Any Tips On Feeding Nervous Fish?

Kr1306

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi,
My barbs are very nervous fish and often hide out in a large plant in the corner of the tank. I'm struggling to get the food to them as most of the time they don't even notice it. I have danios who eat all the food very quickly. I feed the Barbs with a turkey baster as they don't come to the surface for the food but it's still a struggle getting the food to them. They either swim away and miss it, leaving it all to fall into the rocks (very frustrating) or the danios swarm around them and eat it all before they get chance. I often find myself having to put too much food in for the Barbs to get any, then the rocks get full of decaying food

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The best way to feed them is get rid of their nervousness. Are they new additions? Your profile says you have only 3, I'd guess their shyness is the result of not having a proper school. Try adding more decor (preferably plants) to make them feel more secure.

One trick that works to get food to less aggressive eaters is by adding the food directly into the filter output so the floating foods get pushed under water. Fish prefer a moving target anyways and there should be enough food in the water column and on the surface for all types of feeders.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with all of the above - if not in proper schools, you will notice this type of behavior - also if I am reading your profile correctly, you have a 54 litre tank? If thats the case, the small size of the tank may be the cause of "nervousness" as they may be stressed out by not having enough room. Barbs usually do better in schools of 8 or more which requires a bigger tank. What other fish do you have besides the Danios and how many of the Danios do you have, 6, correct??? Danios also need more space and schooling pals ( usually at least 8-10 )

While you may or may not be able to fix that at this point, I would try putting in more floating plats/plants to break up the line of sight.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom