Any Tips For Raising Betta Fry ?

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by singlecutguitar, Apr 15, 2017.

1. singlecutguitar

singlecutguitar Valued Member Member

This is my first time breeding betta fish. It's been two weeks now and I found that many of my fry don't survive. I do water changes everyday with airline tube with sponge so they don't get sucked up. The water parameter is normal but why does my fry didn't survived ? It's because of the debris in the bottom of the tank ? I found it's hard to clear that debris because they didn't get passed the sponge. I put a water lily and a pristia to help with the parameter.

2. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

3. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Blue, the only thing I can see that would be harming them is food.

4. OP
    OP
    singlecutguitar

Yes, microworms. But maybe it's too much. I saw the microworm still alive at the bottom of the tank (feeding on the debris ?).

I have two batches right now. First batch is the one that I'm talking about in the first post, and there's another batch that was surprisingly many of the fry still survived. I give them the same treatment. I wonder why was they're many survived in the second batch ? Is it genetics ?

How about ammonia and nitrite ? The adults can tolerate high amounts of substance but I don't know with the fry. I also heard that the debris can be dangerous since they can provide disease. But It's hard for me to remove them, I'm afraid that I will suck the fry through the siphon. Will the trumpet snail help to clear that debris for me ? I heard that they're good addition to clean the tank.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  5. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

The ammonia would definitely kill them off. What are your parameters?
    Genetics could be having a part in it as well, are the spawns from different parents?

6. OP
    OP
    singlecutguitar

It's almost zero ammonia but high on nitrite, I do 70% water changes, and daily 20% water changes for the next days.

I've heard that true aquatic plants like pristia, water lily, or duckweed can suck the ammonia instead of nitrate. If it's true, than I guess it can help for raising fry.

The male and female are black dragon I got from another breeder, it seems that they are from the same parent. That's why I thought the recessive genes become dominant and the fry become less tolerant to disiease. Any thought ?

7. Lindsay83

Lindsay83 Valued Member Member

Anything above 0ppm ammonia and nitrite will be harming the fish, but certainly fry will be more susceptible to them.

Probably a pointless question, but do you have them in a separate tank from the adults?

8. OP
    OP
    singlecutguitar

Yes, I separate the female after fertilisation process and separate the male after the fry are in free swimming

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice