Any Tips For Filling Test Tubes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cm11599ps, Apr 2, 2010.

1. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I simply dump for vials in the tank and pour out some water until I reach the measuring line. Surely there's an easier way to get this done.

What am I missing?

2. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

To fill your test tubes use a syringe. The other thing is why are you posting different topics on the same threat?

3. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

lol, I edited that when you were typing.

Is that something I can buy at the LFS?

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I use a 10ml syringe to fill my test tubes to. Buy them at your local pharmacy.

5. l

leeishom Valued Member Member

i never dip the tube in the tank.
    i use a plastic bowl to scoop what i think i need, fill the tube; if more than needed i kind of Fling/snap til i get to the measured point.

6. HitchHiker

HitchHiker Valued Member Member

I got my syringes from walmart, they are free at the pharmacy.

7. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

i fill mine using the filter outtake

8. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I use a plastic syringe that came with a Tetra Laborette test kit. I managed to collect a few over the years :)

Ken

9. m

mcurtissdsu Well Known Member Member

Good idea! I need to get me a syringe.

10. Nate McFin

Nate McFin Well Known Member Member

I have a larger syringe for medicine as well. It holds 20ml so you can fill a few tubes at a time. I agree to never dip your tubes as well. There is acid in some of the test and you dont want that residue getting into your tank!
    The syringe is fast and easy.

11. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

i dip mine in the tank, fill it and shake out the extra until its at the line...its funny after doing so many tanks, for so long, you know how many shakes to hit that line just right LOL

12. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I do it the same way Shawnie does. On Malawi tank day, I give free concussions;D

13. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Same as shawnie....it gets to be habit...often nail it on first try or a drop or 2 away.

14. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

I just dip it in the tank like a few members above, in the beginning, I was always off (sometimes it took 3 tries to get it right) but with practice, I'm now so used to it I could hit it right on the mark (or close) on my first dip. It takes a couple dips to get used to it.

15. callichma

callichma Well Known Member Member

I use an oral syringe from the WalMart pharmacy. Works great. I like the 20cc idea above so you can get all the sample out at once.

16. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

I use a bottle that I got when I purchased my copepods and it holds about 100ml so I just squeeze the water into the tubes from it. makes it very easy n u never miss ur mark.

17. midthought

midthought Well Known Member Member

I use a turkey baster (dedicated for fish tank stuff) since I don't have a syringe in the house. It's not the most scientific or accurate thing, but it works.

18. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

to get the free syringe, you go to the pharmacist and ask if you can have a syringe that they give with baby medication. Never had a problem at target, cvs, walgreens.

19. r

ray_sj Valued Member Member

I've used the turkey baster before, but I like using droppers or these plastic pipettes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice