Any Tips For A New Tank I Made?

DolanDuck

Reaction score
So i bought and set up a new tank and was wondering if i am missing something. Its a 24L tank with built in filters and LED lights. I also found a little snail(?) which is very small i cant really get a good pic of it, a friend of mine said its a pest, but im not sure so im keeping it for the moment. The stones i use is dragons stones and i don't know what plant i used (i'm new in aquascaping), all i know that its a carpet plant. and yes i noticed that i shouldve seperated the plants to smaller parts to plant it, will do that later.

please do give me tips or suggestions regarding this, Thanks!

Attachments

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Its a pest snail can be harmless, the can however popular quickly and outcompete the other tank mates for food. Especially plants.

Some fish will eat pest snails.

Depending on the fish you plan on keeping, maybe add a tall ish plant like a sword? Like behind the dragonstone to make it look more complete? You don't have to of course.

DolanDuck

Reaction score
Lunnietic said:
Its a pest snail can be harmless, the can however popular quickly and outcompete the other tank mates for food. Especially plants.

Some fish will eat pest snails.

Depending on the fish you plan on keeping, maybe add a tall ish plant like a sword? Like behind the dragonstone to make it look more complete? You don't have to of course.
The tank isnt complete just yet, i will be adding more in the future. I am planning on planting taller plants in the back, and im still not sure what fish to put there. For the time being im just making the plants grow first then put fish. Its just a plan since im still learning and researching more of this . Thanks for the reply

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DolanDuck said:
The tank isnt complete just yet, i will be adding more in the future. I am planning on planting taller plants in the back, and im still not sure what fish to put there. For the time being im just making the plants grow first then put fish. Its just a plan since im still learning and researching more of this . Thanks for the reply
What size tank is it?
And you are welcome. It looks a LOT better than my first tank.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That carpeting plant is HC cuba, which grows best in high light and supplemental CO2. Without either, they dont do well and its highly likely to die.

The snail is a Mayalasian trumpet snail. I really like them in my tanks, but others dont share the same views.

FantasyFanVII

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That snail looks like a Malaysian Trumpet Snail to me as well. I had some in my 20 gallon once. I think I started with two or three plant hitchhikers and eventually got to the point I could count 150+ on the glass at the same time. Not kidding. I finally said "f it" put 13 assassin snails in and they cleared things up in about a month. So yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of MTS, but they do burrow and aerate the substrate, so that's a plus I guess.
As far as plants, something like anubias nana or anubias nana petite could look good wedged into cracks/holes in the dragon stone, and a big cryptocoryne would look good in the back.
I'm also a fan of letting a bushy stem plant take over the back/sides of a tank. Maybe water wisteria or anacharis, depending on what type of leaves you prefer. Or ludwigia repens if you want to try and get some red in.

DolanDuck

Reaction score
Lunnietic said:
What size tank is it?
And you are welcome. It looks a LOT better than my first tank.
Its a 24L tank, dimensions are 275 x 275 x 320mm. Thanks

DolanDuck

Reaction score
aussieJJDude said:
That carpeting plant is HC cuba, which grows best in high light and supplemental CO2. Without either, they dont do well and its highly likely to die.

The snail is a Mayalasian trumpet snail. I really like them in my tanks, but others dont share the same views.
I see, is there any carpet plants that u recommend which are relatively easier to plant and care for beginners? thanks

DolanDuck

Reaction score
FantasyFanVII said:
That snail looks like a Malaysian Trumpet Snail to me as well. I had some in my 20 gallon once. I think I started with two or three plant hitchhikers and eventually got to the point I could count 150+ on the glass at the same time. Not kidding. I finally said "f it" put 13 assassin snails in and they cleared things up in about a month. So yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of MTS, but they do burrow and aerate the substrate, so that's a plus I guess.
As far as plants, something like anubias nana or anubias nana petite could look good wedged into cracks/holes in the dragon stone, and a big cryptocoryne would look good in the back.
I'm also a fan of letting a bushy stem plant take over the back/sides of a tank. Maybe water wisteria or anacharis, depending on what type of leaves you prefer. Or ludwigia repens if you want to try and get some red in.
Wew, thanks for the suggestions will search into those

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Actually that plant looks like monte carlo. I wouldn't separate it, with decent lighting it should spread quickly on it's own. I would upgrade the light if it's not a "plant" light. I would just make sure the built in filters cause enough surface agitation and then add an air stone if not. What were you planning on stocking?

DolanDuck

Reaction score
SegiDream said:
Actually that plant looks like monte carlo. I wouldn't separate it, with decent lighting it should spread quickly on it's own. I would upgrade the light if it's not a "plant" light. I would just make sure the built in filters cause enough surface agitation and then add an air stone if not. What were you planning on stocking?
I plan on putting a few snails, a few nano shrimps, and as for the fish not sure yet. Im not sure about the carpet plant, because it does look like monte carlo and cuba, gotta put some more research to that. The water flow from the filter made quite a current, but not so much of surface agitation. thanksss for replying

FantasyFanVII

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You have to be kind of careful when you're mixing shrimp and fish because a lot of fish will try and eat shrimp. The baby shrimp will probably get eaten by pretty much anything, but if you get enough carpeting plant coverage/random moss patches enough babies should survive for you to get a stable if not growing population. As far as adult shrimp, just make sure you do your research on whatever you get. I can tell you my Endler Livebearers, Guppies, and Pygmy Corydoras have never bothered my adult shrimp.
And back to plants, Pearlweed, Staurogyne Repens, and Monte Carlo (which you might have) are supposed to be fairly undemanding "traditional" carpet plants. There's also good old moss carpets if you can't get anything else to work. They can look pretty good as well if you're willing to be patient.

DolanDuck

Reaction score
FantasyFanVII said:
You have to be kind of careful when you're mixing shrimp and fish because a lot of fish will try and eat shrimp. The baby shrimp will probably get eaten by pretty much anything, but if you get enough carpeting plant coverage/random moss patches enough babies should survive for you to get a stable if not growing population. As far as adult shrimp, just make sure you do your research on whatever you get. I can tell you my Endler Livebearers, Guppies, and Pygmy Corydoras have never bothered my adult shrimp.
And back to plants, Pearlweed, Staurogyne Repens, and Monte Carlo (which you might have) are supposed to be fairly undemanding "traditional" carpet plants. There's also good old moss carpets if you can't get anything else to work. They can look pretty good as well if you're willing to be patient.
Ah yes, im aiming for adult ish shrimps and some "school" type fishes but still not sure which fish. And in the future i will plant more taller plants and bushier plants for cover of the shrimps. Thanks for the reply

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom