Any Tips For A New Shrimp Keeper!?

Bellaona

Valued Member
Messages
95
Reaction score
12
Points
18
Okay i must admit, ive had ghost shrimp for awhile, and i feel in love. They are so funny! My ghost shrimp have always had a good survival rate with a few babies even but i want to expand. I did a ton of research and got a tank for specifically them and i want to expand to cherry shrimp and blue velvet and maybe some orange sunkist :) id love some tips as these are way bigger investments than their ghost shrimp counterparts and i eould love a low transitional mortality rate and the ability to help them thrive and breed.
 

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,340
Reaction score
2,956
Points
613
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have a read of this and see how you want to proceed
Let's start at the beginning then, first of all if you want 3 cherry colours you'll need three 10gal minimum tanks or they will inter breed and you'll loose all your colours within the year so money wasted, to safely breed cherries you need to know what your water is doing so you'll need API ph/gh/kh test kit I'll assume you have ammonia/nitrite/nitrate kit already, your tanks should be fully cycled and also been running for 3months before you attempt to put shrimp in, this is to have a stable & mature environment, temperature will need to be between 22.5c /72f & 23.8c/75f.
You can use double sponge filters with a good air pump or you can go for an internal pump the choice is yours
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Bellaona

Valued Member
Messages
95
Reaction score
12
Points
18
richie.p said:
Have a read of this and see how you want to proceed
Let's start at the beginning then, first of all if you want 3 cherry colours you'll need three 10gal minimum tanks or they will inter breed and you'll loose all your colours within the year so money wasted, to safely breed cherries you need to know what your water is doing so you'll need API ph/gh/kh test kit I'll assume you have ammonia/nitrite/nitrate kit already, your tanks should be fully cycled and also been running for 3months before you attempt to put shrimp in, this is to have a stable & mature environment, temperature will need to be between 22.5c /72f & 23.8c/75f.
You can use double sponge filters with a good air pump or you can go for an internal pump the choice is yours
So even if they breed among cherry they will lose all color? Are they any varieties that dont? And also yeah im working on cycling the tank for them now. And yeah i have test kits ect ect, i keep fish n stuff im just looking to not make any mistakes that make them seperate from fish. :) any conditions a straight cherry needs? Or blue velvet that you know? Ive grabbed the driftwood, almond leaves, and java moss, along with some plants.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

Bellaona

Valued Member
Messages
95
Reaction score
12
Points
18
richie.p said:
Have a read of this and see how you want to proceed
Let's start at the beginning then, first of all if you want 3 cherry colours you'll need three 10gal minimum tanks or they will inter breed and you'll loose all your colours within the year so money wasted, to safely breed cherries you need to know what your water is doing so you'll need API ph/gh/kh test kit I'll assume you have ammonia/nitrite/nitrate kit already, your tanks should be fully cycled and also been running for 3months before you attempt to put shrimp in, this is to have a stable & mature environment, temperature will need to be between 22.5c /72f & 23.8c/75f.
You can use double sponge filters with a good air pump or you can go for an internal pump the choice is yours
Also, if i want to do a no filter tank, is that something i shouldnt attempt with the shrimp?
 

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,340
Reaction score
2,956
Points
613
Experience
5 to 10 years
All neocaradina (cherry) will inter breed theres no getting away from that so you'll need to make your mind up on which way you want to go there or colour to keep, it gets complicated if you try to keep caradina (crystal shrimp) with cherries. you will need a filter, cherries are easy to keep but it would be useful to do ph gh/kh just to make sure your water is ok for them, saying that if you've had success with ghost then cherries should do fine as well, the key with all of this is stability, have patients, ask all the questions theres plenty of us here to set you right
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

Bellaona

Valued Member
Messages
95
Reaction score
12
Points
18
richie.p said:
All neocaradina (cherry) will inter breed theres no getting away from that so you'll need to make your mind up on which way you want to go there or colour to keep, it gets complicated if you try to keep caradina (crystal shrimp)you will need a filter, cherries are easy to keep but it would be useful to do ph gh/kh just to make sure your water is ok for them, saying that if you've had success with ghost then cherries should do fine as well, the key with all of this is stability, have patients, ask all the questions theres plenty of us here to set you right
Awesome thanks!! And i have all that test stuff :) and so cardina are the filter feeders? And thanks alot for your help :) i figured ehy trial and error when i have all the experience here at my fingertips :) also is their any way to keep the shook mortality even lower from introducing them to a new enviorment? I know lots of shrimp have issues with that.
 

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,340
Reaction score
2,956
Points
613
Experience
5 to 10 years
Caradina are not filter feeders that are a different species of shrimp which need different water perameters, google crystal red shrimp. listen to advise and it will go smooth I dont believe in trial and error I will and the others here will give advise so you wont go wrong just dont rush anything
Not to shock them they will need to be drop acclimated for at least two hours before putting them in the tank, if you have all the tests do them all in your present tank and let us know what they are especially gh/kh
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

Bellaona

Valued Member
Messages
95
Reaction score
12
Points
18
richie.p said:
Caradina are not filter feeders that are a different species of shrimp which need different water perameters, google crystal red shrimp. listen to advise and it will go smooth I dont believe in trial and error I will and the others here will give advise so you wont go wrong just dont rush anything
Not to shock them they will need to be drop acclimated for at least two hours before putting them in the tank, if you have all the tests do them all in your present tank and let us know what they are especially gh/kh
Oh i just set up the tank fir them i havent bought them yet haha i gotta wait for it to cycle just gathering info
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

Bellaona

Valued Member
Messages
95
Reaction score
12
Points
18
All i ment by trial and error is just from reading and hoping i read everything vs taking taking advantage of the years of experience here.
Bellaona said:
Oh i just set up the tank fir them i havent bought them yet haha i gotta wait for it to cycle just gathering info
 

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,340
Reaction score
2,956
Points
613
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dont worry theres many years of experienced shrimpers on fishlore you wont go wrong
You'll be looked after
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

Bellaona

Valued Member
Messages
95
Reaction score
12
Points
18
richie.p said:
Dont worry theres many years of experienced shrimpers on fishlore you wont go wrong
You'll be looked after
Thats why i love this site. even though people can be testy at times its just because they care :)
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom