Any thoughts on what's causing this?

SecondTime
My granddaughter has a betta in a 10 gallon tank, there are no other occupants.

The tank has been running for 3 weeks; when set up the filter was heavily seeded with media from my well-established 20 gal, and I used about 60% water from my tank. I also imported 2 small Java ferns tied to rocks, those have been in my tank for several months.

Tank parameters have been consistent since day 1: 0 Nitrates, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, pH 7.6. Tank temp 78.

The betta has been happy until yesterday, when he started spending much time at the bottom, appearing to hide behind plants. She says he isn’t eating, but today while visiting her home, I noticed he is pooping.I also noticed what appears to be a white patch on his tail, please see photos. His fins appear to be in great shape otherwise.

Any thoughts on what this white patch may be? She does have a few plastic plants, though soft ones, yet I wonder if his tail may have become caught on one and was damaged?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Betta'sAnonymous
Doesn't look like any kind of damage from the plants. Off-hand i can only think of color change or a fungal thing, can't tell which or if either one!

A201
Looks like fungus. Likely early stages of fin rot. The fungus feeds on dead tissue destroyed by the primary bacterial infection.
Fin Rot isn't that easy to cure. I'm not a fan of aquarium antibiotics, but meds that treat gram negative bacteria have been recommended.
Melafix is often used to treat fin rot, but some believe "Fix" meds aren't compatible with Bettas.
Hope things get better soon.

SecondTime
Thank you both. Much appreciated!

Where this is a new tank, and there is no fungus present in the tank that provided the seeded media, I'll assume if it is a fungus, it's an issue that existed before purchase. Poor guy. :(

I understand IAL is a good treatment for fin rot; is it effective for fungus, and is it safe for bettas?

A201
I've never used almond leaves as a med, but have read the tannins are beneficial towards healing fin rot.
If the harmful bacteria is eliminated, the secondary fungus will likely be as well.
Quite a few IAL advocates on this forum. Maybe one will chime in.

ValkyrieLips
I've had success treating fungal infections with aquarium salt before. I used 2 tbsp per 5 gallons of water (dissolved in tank water before being added) for a few days until the fungus went away and his scales healed.

Top Bottom