Any Thai Language Readers (better Than Google Translate.....) On Fishlore?

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by fa4960, May 14, 2019.

1. fa4960

fa4960Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +504
    Experience:
    5 years
    I want do make DIY root tabs and osmocote plus is not available in Thailand but a local alternative is, however it seems to contains only NPK and 1% Mg and not all the micro nutrients of the original product.

Basically need someone you can check a picture of the packaging for me?

PS: Could ask the Thai wife but wants to avoid yet another discussion about "investments" in fishy stuff :D:D:D:D:D

2. AlpineTheBetta

AlpineTheBettaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    I can do that. Show me what you've got.

3. OP
    OP
    fa4960

Ratings:
    +504
    Experience:
    5 years
    Thanks @AlpineTheBetta

I want to make DIY root tabs but there is no Osmocote Plus available in Thailand. I have found a local brand that seems to claim they are osmocote "look a like" but I can't figure out if they just have NPK and a bit of Mg in one case, while having none of the micro nutrients that Osmocote Plus have...

Sotos products (2 options):
    http://ecommerce.sotus.co.th/site/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51
    N-P-K: 13-13-13
    http://ecommerce.sotus.co.th/site/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54
    N-P-K: 12-25-6

Picture of packaging of the two different options:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=osm...i=-Fqs2lgUroqjHM:&imgrc=X_bTIH6vfWGOGM:&vet=1

The original Osmocote Plus:
    http://www.plantersplace.com/osmocote-plant-food/outdoor-indoor-plus/
    N-P-K: 15-9-12

PS: So far I can only conclude that the NPK content is different but can't figure out if there's any micros in the "copy"?

4. DanteCrosetto

DanteCrosettoNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    I have some friends here in Asia who are Thai, but they aren't into the hobby

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  5. OP
    OP
    fa4960

Ratings:
    +504
    Experience:
    5 years
    Cheers @DanteCrosetto I will come back to you if @AlpineTheBetta is unable to help but with him/her being in the hobby I hope for a better background understanding of what I am after.

6. AlpineTheBetta

Ratings:
    +29
    Here goes :

So out of the two locally available products you mentioned ( 13-13-13 formula in red packaging and 12-25-6 +1percent in blue packaging), none of those guarantees or lists any micronutrient. You get just the basic NPK (as 13%N, 13%P2O5 and 13%K2O) out of the "red box" formula. For the "blue box" formula you get 12%N, 25%P2O5 ,6% K2O and 1% MG.

If you look at the pictures of the back of the box , the very top is the ingredient list and that is all there is on the box that has anything to do with ingredients. You can see the chemical formula for each ingredient and the percentage

I know it looks like there is quite a bit of info on the box but those are pretty much useless generic ramble along the line of " for use with ornamental plants", "the ingredients are encapsulated for slow release", "sprinkle on top of the soil or alternatively sprinkle at the bottom of the pot then add soil", etc, etc.

What you are able to find locally does not seem to be on par with the ( I guess European?) version of the product. Here in the US, Seachem makes root tabs and the ingredient list is pretty long containing similar micronutrients as the European Osmocote.

I am attaching the pictures of the local product boxes just to show you what I was writing about, plus the ingredient list of Seachem root tab from a screenshot. I suspect the local products may not work so well, let us know how things work out if you decide to give them a whirl. Btw, isn't there any merchant willing to ship to Thailand?

Hobbies can be so tough abroad. Basic items I can easily find here, such as API water test kits, are so hard/impossible? to find in Asia. ( At least that seems to be the case when I was there decades ago) Good luck!

Your Discus look gorgeous. I had a look at your thread about the tank build. It is definitely a production, buy imho totally worth it.

I love bettas and it's too bad I can't put them together like that. I know in certain situations it may be possible, but I don't want to take a chance knowing that I won't be there 24/7 to break them up if they decide to fight.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019
  7. OP
    OP
    fa4960

Ratings:
    +504
    Experience:
    5 years
    @AlpineTheBetta many thanks for the comprehensive explanation, much appreciated.

Osmocote Plus is an American product I believe and is widely available on Amazon and Ebay but s always there are 2 other factors in form of shipping and customs when you are located outside the US. Shipping is around twice the product price and then there is the unknown factor of the Thai custom who seems to work randomly in terms of what is duty bound or not.

Not long ago I ordered medicine twice, first shipping came in a few days with no issues. Second shipment had some medicine in it that can also be used for live stock and suddenly I was required to produce a live stock license....

So I prefer not to take the chance with customs anymore. I have a friend travelling to the US quite frequently so mayb I will ask him to get me a pound of the original stuff.

Thanks again for your help and the nice words on my tank. It is fun to have a large tank but also a challenge sometimes when it comes to maintenance and treatments....

8. AlpineTheBetta

Ratings:
    +29
    You're welcome!

I guess I am into Seachem products and their root tabs work good so I didn't know anything about Osmocote.

Thai Custom -- yeah that sounds like them. I only had to deal with them once when we were visiting after college graduation, and got some help from my mom who is local. I and my dad just could not get them to release a package from the US and I don't know what my mom did. ( the box contains personal effects that we needed and forgot to pack so there really was no reason to hold it or levy any import duty/ tax) She managed to get them to release it. Don't underestimate angry Asian moms! ( This is not meant to sound like I am a racist lol because she is my mom, and that explains why I can read Thai.)

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    fa4960

Ratings:
    +504
    Experience:
    5 years
    Nothing against Seachem, except the price and availability here. Become even more expensive when the tank is big. The bigger the tank the more attractive it is to DIY.

With Thai custom you have no chance if not Thai native or at least fluent in Thai, even then it sometimes requires a brown envelope also.....

Very good that your mum kept you up with Thai language, really a must if you ever decide to work here. Both my boys (8 & 12) are fluent and can read/write Thai as they also have a Thai mum. I need to make sure they don't end up like me in terms of Thai language skills....

10. AlpineTheBetta

Ratings:
    +29
    @fa4960

From your profile, if I remember correctly, you are from Denmark? Just a note that for the language pairing ( Thai and Danish), it is difficult to find translators. I used to pick up random gigs translating stuff and if you can translate between Thai and Danish or any Scandinavian language for that matter you can earn the highest rate.

Anyways,

I am starting to do something different this time around -- rescuing bettas from pet stores. The living conditions they have been subjected to are horrendous. I am having pretty good success rate so far. In order to do even better, I watched some Thai breeders' video. Those guy claim they could keep bettas in like a litre of water with once weekly water change and they apparently are doing well enough. No tail rot and no huge loss of stock, well prolly not that much loss or else they would have gone bankrupt.

So the water chemistry has to work somehow. They only add some salt and indian almond leaf tea to the water and feed once a day.

From my experience in that volume of water at that temperature most likely 1ppm of ammonia or more would result by day7. I am trying to figure out the water chemistry and how they make it work. In order to do so, I would like to find out what the parameters are like in local tap water in Thailand.

Would you mind running a test for me? I would like to know the PH, KH, and GH of the tap water in your area. If you dont mind sharing where you live ( I only need to know which city lol) that would be great. TIA!

11. OP
    OP
    fa4960

Ratings:
    +504
    Experience:
    5 years
    Hello again. I live in the Bang Na area of Bangkok. PH 7.4-7.6, KH 5, GH 1 so very little buffering capacity. Apologies for the short answer but a little busy...

12. AlpineTheBetta

Ratings:
    +29
    @fa4960

That was super fast. No need to apologize. Thanks!!!!