Any Teachers tried Glofish Breeding?

1. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:;cr I'm on a mission.

Rather than going back and forth about what people have heard and think they know to be true from the internet, fish clubs, and pet store rumor mills about sterilization or not, I'm looking for links and/or quotes that clarifies whether or not Glofish (decedents of genetically modified zebra danios) sold in stores can carry fertilized eggs and eventually produce fry.

Some links for what I'm talking about:
    http://www.glofish.com/
    http://www.glofish.com/faq.asp#CaringforGloFish
    http://www.glofish.com/license.html

Has anyone received info from the company with a clear answer? The clearest I could find was this:

"As a last clarification, I would like to note that the restriction is only with regard to intentional breeding of the fish, not any independently occurring aquarium “romance”; I apologize if there was any confusion about this."
    -Sarah
    GloFish Support

(https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/zebra-danio/29324-glofish-3.html)
    *Ya gotta love Lucy's comment in that thread about fishy birth control. :giggle: :;nw

I'm going to fill out a request to raise and breed glofish next year for educational classroom purposes. It will be a great opportunity to help students learn about properly raising fish, their life and reproductive cycle, and so forth. It would be neat to raise unmodified zebra danios at the same time in a separate tank so students can chart the similarities and differences. (I'd been planning this with livebearers, but I think I'll modify that part.)

2. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

3. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

My lfs had glofish that spawned. All the glofish were sold and left behind a surprise, lol!!! ;D They still tiny, not many. But they are neon pink ect.

4. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Great link Cesch! I didn't even think of checking out YouTube!

*giggles* @ AlyeskaGirl. What were those naughty fishies up to! :whistling:

That certainly answers my question and makes my lesson planning loads easier. *lol* This will be my first time with fish in the classroom. It should prove loads of fun and very educational.

...Though it's been SO hard having found good tank deals on CL and then having to leave them sitting empty in my garage. :p

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

what a cool idea, iloveengl! Do you teach 7th grade earth science?

6. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

*lol* Actually, I teach middle school ENGLISH! :whistling:

But my classroom is very nontraditional. :;hp:;jk:;qu We grow plants and vegetables each year; this will be our first year of fish. :)

I really enjoy sharing my love of nature and animals with my students; it teaches them responsibility and lets them learn new things even when they're just having fun. It appeals to more learning levels and styles and stimulates their desire and appreciation for learning when it's something fun. :)

lol. Sorry, I can go on forever about teaching. I just love my students!

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I assumed it was english, but then you mentioned fish. Lol - I got confused.

We watched the movies Soylent Green and Logan's Run in 7th grade Earth Science. That teacher was also a bit nontraditional.

8. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Nontraditional pedagogy is becoming the norm for young teachers because so much research these days shows that the most important thing is to get students excited about learning. It's also a wonderful tool for my special needs students.

So long as my students keep showing higher than average test scores, my boss gives me plenty of room for creativity. I know I'm very lucky for that. :)

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds like those kids are lucky to have such a wonderful teacher. :)

10. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Thank you Lucy :;group

11. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

Very lucky indeed!! So many of my teachers just read out of the books and I was bored to death most of my school career...lol. They were good at what they did just set in their ways. Now that I have children. (my oldest will be going to kindergarten next year) I value and respect teachers SOOOOO much more then I did when I was in school. All teachers are saints in my eyes and the great teachers (like yourself) just amaze me!!!. education is so important and when the teachers care and enjoy their jobs it shows and it makes a difference!. Thank you!!. Hopefully my kiddos will have some teachers like you!!.

12. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:;group That's really sweet of you to say, Cesch.

13. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

My oldest is also going into Kinder next year, and already I can see how much of an influence the teacher has on his desire to learn.

14. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

As a parent, I have to agree-nontraditional methods work great with my daughter! I can always tell how a teacher teaches based on my daughter's grades. She struggled in Science through the 4th grade. She's aced it in 5th and 6th grades due to nontraditional teaching methods. Social Studies, too!

15. couesfanatic Member Member

I have glofish fry in my tank right now. They breed like crazy just like other danios. It would be tough to keep them from breeding, it's just what they do.

16. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Thanks couesfanatic. :) I've heard such different reports on whether or not they were fertile, I wasn't sure what to think.

It's going to be fun to see our first babies and to see how many of each color the fry end up being.

I'll definitely adjust the substrate and decor depending on whether we want eggs or fry after the first birth. I definitely don't want to produce more fry then I'll be able to care for. :)

17. Fishnugget43 Member Member

I know this is an older post and what not but just letting you know, i believe that intentionally breeding glofish is illeagal

18. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Well, it may be against company policy, and maybe they can sue you, especially if you sell them... but it isn't illegal. You can't be fined by the government or put into jail for it, I don't think.

19. mizzoufan96 Member Member

Why? lol, I never heard of that.

20. hyun007 Member Member

It depend on which country you are in.
    If you are in Thailand, they breed and sell them by the millions.
    haha...........