Any suggestions?

swalker13

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
my 38 gal. is almost cycled, I would like an Angel, small school of bloodfins and a couple corys....what else could I use for a community?

swalker13

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks, maybe the lamp eye would do better? would like a couple fish in there to be a bigger species and the rest small schooling , I thought the angel could be the "center-piece"

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They can be. I have a school of Rummy Nose with my angels and have never had them eat them. I had a school of 12 lamp eyes at one point that did fine with the angels too. I ended up getting rid of them because they just stayed in the current of the filter output and never swam around. At one point I had 12 Neons but the Angels picked them off one at a time until they were gone. It took about a year for them all to be eaten.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
. At one point I had 12 Neons but the Angels picked them off one at a time until they were gone.
I had the same experience and never tried another small tetra with Angels because of it. I'd rather just keep fish I know it can't eat if it is in the mood, which is why i suggested larger tetras.

I agree that Angels can be community fish because they aren't overtly aggressive, so long as they can't eat the other fish in the tank with them.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bet glowlight danios (danio choprai) or fireline danios would work well, but I don't know if they can be found locally.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Glo-light danios are a variety of zebra danio. Zebra danios are very bad fin nippers. Angel fish have long fins, so I wouldn't put glo-light or other zebra danios with them.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lol whichever of those fish were named second should have picked a different name. I didn't know there were two types of danios with glo(w) in the name. That is entirely too confusing for me. Glowlight danios might work, but Glo-light danios probably wouldn't.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know, right, and to make things more confusing, if people don't confuse them for glofish, they confuse them for glowlight tetras.

Give them time, they (along with CPD's) were virtually unknown until recent years.

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A small group of Columbian or Buenos Aires Tetra might work well with the Angelfish, as these tetra have deep bodies, which will take them off the snack menu for older Angelfish.

In another forum I am active on, 18 inches of actual water depth (so excluding the sand/gravel and air space above the waterline) is considered the minimum height for Angelfish as they get older. In shallower tanks, they are believed to lose their classical triangle shape due to stunted growth, resulting in an unnatural "pinched head" look.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
18 inches is the standard here as well. In a 38 you could have a two inch gravel bed and still have 18 inches of open water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom