Any Suggestions On Rainbowfish Behavior?

1. justintrunzo

justintrunzo New Member Member

i have a 40 gallon cycled aquarium and i have 8 rainbow fish and 4 panda cory cats plus a clown pleco
    2 yellows, 2 Australians, 2 boesemani and 2 marci and just recently one of the yellows(male) sometimes turns super vibrant colors then he starts corralling all the other rainbows on one side of the tank then he patrols the tank and sometimes darts at the other rainbows i am just curious for i am still a rainbow beginner is there any particular reason for him doing this?

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

What is the sex of the other yellow? It may be mating behaviour.

3. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

He darts at his own species from time to time to reestablish his role as the alpha fish. It's a territorial issue to show that the tank is his territory. He may also do similar behavior towards a certain female he is trying to bond with for spawning.

4. OP
    OP
    justintrunzo

he usually darts at all the fish but now that ithink about it he only lets one other fish out and it is the female yellow are they preparing to breed possibly?

5. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Yes its possible. In many of my spawning fish, it would usually come as a surprise. I would just come to the tank an see a male & female something guarding a clutch of eggs...surprise!

6. OP
    OP
    justintrunzo

thank you for the information hopefully i will see some fry in the near future!