Any Suggestions For My Evolve 8?

1. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

So my Evolve 8 is empty once more after grabbing the Endler boys who survived their adventure in the filter while looking for girls. I've really not had much luck with finding a fish that likes being in that toilet bowl. I know, I know, @goofster posted a great DIY a few years back, but I'm not very handy, and I've already made it into a Walstad-inspired tank, so I'm loathe to rip everything out.

Fish I've had in it:
    Pictas (they did well until their population grew too much, and I put them in a larger tank.
    Male Betta that was supposed to be a girl (I kept having to fiddle around with the plastic plant that I was using as a baffle.) I'm thinking of a female Betta now but am not sure.
    Handful of female Gambusias who were such bullies to each other that half jumped out of the teeny tiny hole and died before I realized what was going on.

I did like the look of the Endler boys in there, and they had fun surfing in the jet of water from the filter return, but I don't want to deal with the jumping anymore. Yeah, I could put some girls in there, but then I'll be dealing with a lot of fry. So if you have other ideas, let me know!

2. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I have the same tank, it's been in my basement for a few years now. Hate it. Maybe some killis?

3. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, I had thought about getting some killis a while back, but I don't know much about them. Do you think a male and a female would work?

The only reason why I've hung onto the Evolve 8 is because no one else wants it, and then I figured that it since it fits on the kitchen counter, I'd set it up again.

4. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

A colorful shrimp and snail tank is fun.

5. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Shoot, I was getting excited about cute yellow Pygmy Killifish, but info tells me they wouldn't like the strong flow in the Evolve 8. Any other ideas?

I'd been thinking about snails. I'd had some before that seemed to do ok. Would shrimp be able to handle the toilet bowl flow?

6. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Now I have to look this tank up...

7. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I'm no expert on killis by all means... Maybe some golden wonders or rockets would work. Most killis like to stay towards the top, so I'm assuming the flow would mess with them. Maybe a group of scarlet badis? 1M/2F probably.

8. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

How about a group of 2 or 3 Mexican Dwarf Crayfish or some Pygmy Sunfish.

9. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Shoot, golden wonders and rockets need more space, and they (as well as the scarlet badis) like slow-moving water. Sigh. They're so cute--but no, I'm not going to set up a different tank in order to have them, despite the very strong temptation!

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, when I started reading up on them, I discovered that both need slower waters. I guess no one likes living in a toilet bowl!

OK, I know the tank is small, but from what I've read online, white cloud minnows can handle the toilet bowl effect. The other problem is temperature. It's hot here. My tank water is hanging out around 80 degrees. We only turn on the AC when it hits 87 degrees inside as we've moved to a place with single pane windows. We've dipped under 100 degrees outside, but it's been getting up to 109 on some days. Sigh.

10. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

How about a pair of Ninja Gobies or if you make the tank brackish Bumblebee Gobies.

11. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Hmm, I'm sorry to say that Gobies just don't tickle my fancy :0

12. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

Least Killifish

13. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

What is your fancy? Colorful, interactive, playful, etc?

14. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

My fancy is ... Endlers, of course ;) I guess that means colorful, interactive, and playful all at the same time, plus extremely hardy. The water here is incredibly hard, so it would be good for a fish to be able to deal with that, too, although I can cut it with filtered water from outside the grocery store like I used to when I had a neon tetra tank.

I'm beginning to think I should look for a very tough female Betta with itty bitty fins... I'll probably still end up turning the filter off at night to let her rest. Does that sound doable?

15. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

Turning the filter off at night would kill the BB.

16. minervalong Well Known Member Member

Is there any way that you can cut the flow rate? A sponge in front of the filter? Floating plants corralled to do it? It seems like that is what is standing in the way of some fish you might like.

17. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

The best I could do in the past was stick a plastic plant on the return with a rubber band. It helped somewhat. I think this time I'll tie it on with some fishing line. Even so, it's a lot of movement :0

OK, I won't do that then :( The friend who originally got me into fishkeeping had a timer to turn off his filters at night because he was a light sleeper, but I never did try that myself despite my husband's complaints...

18. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

The way i cut the flow was stick a filter pad in front of the powerhead or filter out take and it lessens the flow and it helps keep the water cleaner also. If you lessen the water flow you could do some Pea Puffers and if you don't lessen it how about some Peacock Gugdeons. @Anders247 you are a good stock idea person, what do you think would work.

19. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

If you like endlers, you might like other small life bearers. Someone on one of my threads said his favorite is Micropoecilia picta.

20. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I have the Evolve 4. Any chance you could just replace the pump on he Evolve 8 for one with less GPH?

From what I'm seeing the Evolve 8 has a pump that does 100 gallons per hour. Maybe try one that does around 70 gallons per hour.

OR if the pump is exactly like mine, there should be a yellow flow adjuster if you remove the pump from the tank. You can figure out your desired flow rate by testing it in a full sink.

My pump broke a while back, so I just stuck an Aqueon 10 on the back of it and called it a day. XD