Any suggestions for beginner's plants?

1. Legures

Legures Valued Member Member

I want a planted tank like Akari's 10 gallon. My tank has no live plants right now and I'm not sure what the light wattage is. It came in a Top Fin 10 gallon kit.

I want something that is hardy, isn't picky about lighting, and fairly common (common enough to see it at a chain LFS like PetSmart).

I got on my list Java Fern and Anubias but I noticed there are a lot of subspecies of it and I was wondering if it was all the same.

Thanks in advance!

2. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Its funny I should be the first one to click on this :p

All my plants are listed in my info (just click on my username!). I find that they all do well for me, without much extra help :)

3. OP
    OP
    Legures

I just read through like all 20 pages of your 10g planted thread! That's where my inspiration came from :p

Thanks! I'm also on a student budget but it doesn't help that it seems like live plants are super expensive :-X

4. Akari_32

I use coupons! You can use Pet Supermarket and PetCo coupons at PetSmart ;) I think I spent like $200 at least on that tank XD Don't tell my mom :;nin2 But that was before I started using coupons lol I bet I could have done it at less than 1/2 the price >=3

I'll see if I can find a few good coupons for you...

5. L

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Does the tank have florectent or incandecent lighting? The incandecent bulbs are easily replaced with aquarium CFLs.

Here is what I have in my 10gal:

Thelanthera rosefolia
    Marimo moss
    Java fern
    Java moss
    Cryptocoryne wendtii green
    Cryptocoryne wendtii red
    Anubias nana
    Aponogeton

Just added last week:
    Corkscrew val
    Anacharis
    Dwarf sag
    2 baby swords ( 1 amozon, 1 ozelot will later be moved when they get too big)
    Micro sword ( this one does need higher lighting)

6. ivonko

ivonko Valued Member Member

seattle wa! awesome! welcome to the site and its great to see another washingtonian on here haha. yeah plants tend to be on the spendy side. you can get them for around 5 bucks a pop at your lfs, i know i payed like 14 dollars for 2 micro sword plants and 1 brazilian sword at petco here locally. best of luck with your tank cant wait to see how it turns out. you may also want to look into DIY co2 systems for your plants, even though your plants can do without it (i dont have it) but if your heavily planted they will definantly benefit from supplementry CO2.

7. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Plants

Wendy Aquarium Inventory.JPG

If you click on my inventory you will see all the plants that I have listed. All of them were purchased at either Petco or Petsmart. I never had grown an aquatic plant before, and the plants are doing great. So, I would consider them beginner plants.

Wendy

8. Akari_32

9. OP
    OP
    Legures

That would be awesome! I probably spent around $200 on my 10 gallon itself too and people think that dogs are expensive... LOL!

I got this tank in a Top Fin Kit so I think it is incandescant.

It's hard to find Washington-ers on here! Would fish be affected by co2? Also I have double filtration and an air pump, would that exhaust all the co2 in the water?

10. OP
    OP
    Legures

Would PetSmart allow you to use both on the same transaction? Also, we don't have a Pet Supermarket here (I think) would they still accept it?

11. ivonko

i have read about lots of people running CO2 with fish in their tanks and havent heard of any negative consequences and to be honest im not sure about the CO2 being filtered out. im a noob as well so i cant answer all the questions but i hope somebody can! i will have double filtration and a pump on my tank as well here in a week or so. so i would like to know the answer as well lol

12. ivonko

13. Akari_32

Yep, they will! You just can't use two of the same competitor stores coupons $'s off coupons on the same order.

Like say you had a $25 order. You could use a PetCo $5 off $25 order coupon, a Pet SuperMarket $4 off a $20 order, a PetLand $5 off $25 order, and so on. YOu could even go as far to use coupons that are for specific items as well. Like say I had a free Greenies coupon, too. I could get that free Greenies, an well as spend $25 on other stuff and use my $'s off an order coupons.

Just ask them first. I forget that Pet SuperMarket is still a southern-type store lol

14. OP
    OP
    Legures

I would order all my fish stuff online but I find that total cost of shipping and the actual product makes up for the cheap prices :p

That PetCo coupon is only valid on 4/14 and 4/15. Hmm, I wonder if Petco would still take it :p

15. Akari_32

When I say "order" I don't mean online lol I'm a cashier, so I'm used to saying that lol

16. OP
    OP
    Legures

No lol I was replying to ivonko when I said order. Sorry :p too lazy to quote = confusion to others.

17. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Actually, sometimes it's cheaper ordering from an online seller... like me... ;) Except you have longer wait periods.

Frogbit is a really easy floating plant and helps control algae by stealing nutrients.

18. Akari_32

Oh, my bad! LOL

19. m

mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

Java moss and lacefern are good plants too, they might even decide to take over your tank. The lacefern is a really fast growing plant which is perfect for filling up any extra space in your aquarium and will need to be trimmed quite often, and the moss can easily be attached to decorations. :)

20. ivonko

yeah sometimes online order+shipping= greater than in store, i usually just keep my eyes open on aquabid though sometimes you can get an awesome deal with free shipping, you can also look into the guys here on the site like zeez for example im sure some of them would be willing to hook you up for a fair deal.
    good luck!