Any suggestions for a Quiet Air Pump

Betta02

HI all! I'm working on switching my Betta tanks from HOB filters to sponge filters. I just installed a new sponge filter in my 13 gallon tank, will be leaving the HOB running for a few weeks to colonize the BB in the new one. Anyway, I have the Aqueon Quietflow Air Pumps for both of my tanks. The one I just installed is crazy noisy. Makes a really loud humming noise. I do have an antI siphon valve on the air line, and did install a flow regulator to turn down the bubbles.
Thought initially it was the flow regulator that was causing the noise, but I opened the valve all the way and it didn't make any difference. Any suggestions for a quieter pump? I'm getting rid of the HOB due to the flow, but also because it was horribly noisy right out of the box. It's Aqueon too.

juniperlea

I have a Tetra 40 pump, about a foot away from me most of the time, and I can only hear it when the TV or fan is off, and even then, it's barely audible, I've read that some people say Tetra air pumps are noisy. I wonder if it depends on the 'size' of the pump??? However, I like the Tetra 40 and I have more than one... all quiet.

Islandvic

Try a Silentstream 20 HOB filter. They have adjustable flow and are actually very quiet. The mechanical plug-in timers I use to control some of the tank lights makes more noise than the Silentstream.

I've got one on our 10g, and when turned down to a 1/3 - 1-2 flow, the current isn't strong at all. Plus the Silentstreams have larger reservoirs than the Aqueon's. You can fit more of your own media in them.

I wouldn't use the cartridges though. A block of foam sponge works great as reusable media.

As for air pumps, look into an Eheim 100. The Ehiem pumps are quiet.

If you run a Silentstream HOB + a sponge filter, you can pull the cycled sponge filter out and place into a 5 gallon bucket of dechlorinated water for an instant quarantine/hospital tank as needed. If actually done that before and works very well.

Craig_84

I have a tetra aps100 silent aquarium air pump. It is very quiet I only really hear the bubbles in the tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
azbev
Replies
Views
LizStreithorst
Replies
Views
Heron
Replies
Views