Question Any Suggestion?

ZDFrost

New Member
Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
2
Experience
2 years
Hello.

I got 45 Gallons Tank With
-2 Red Danios (Going to Move to my 52 Gal Tommorow).
-8 Neon Tetra
-3 Male Guppies (Moving to 52gal too).

And some plant that I can't identify
This tank is kinda empty
Any suggestion on what to get?
I wanted Carpet Plant But
I give up on that because I dont have any CO2. And I researched that most of the carpet plant need CO2 for high rate growth to cover up across the tank.
Any Idea?
I was going to add my 7 Green Neocaridina Shrimp inside but I dont think they will happy in there but I dont know about that,

What should I do?
Should I buy some plant? What kind of plant?
Or should I rise up my neon tetra Number?
Need some suggestion.

This is the pict that I just take right now.
Please ignore the reflection :D:D Thank You
 

Attachments

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,920
Reaction score
4,070
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
I wouldn't necessarily add more fish (though you definitely could increase the amount in there no problem), I think the issue is that there is no large hardscape or decor of any kind. Some larger rocks, driftwood, or decorations so the tank doesn't look so "flat" and empty. As of now it is just a big open space.


Here are my suggestions:

-remove the rainbow gravel, it takes away from the natural look of the dark substrate, coral rock, and any live plants you have

-add another 2-3cm of substrate, as of now it is too shallow for plants to take root in

-add a large piece of aquarium-safe driftwood, or multiple small-to-medium sized pieces; initially your water will be stained yellow but this will disappear with water changes over time. Your neons will appreciate tannin-stained water and it actually makes their blue more intense.

-while not necessary, the coral rock is making your water more alkaline and raising your pH; non of your fish particularly need hard water so they can be removed

-large plants such as Valisneria, Crypt spiralis, water wisteria, or Elodea will fill in a lot of the background space, making the tank seem more full and also hiding the back wall and any hardware

-if you want a carpet, you could still try something like dwarf sag; your substrate needs to be deeper for any rooting plants but dwarf sag doesn't need CO2
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Z

ZDFrost

New Member
Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
2
Experience
2 years
Fahn said:
I wouldn't necessarily add more fish (though you definitely could increase the amount in there no problem), I think the issue is that there is no large hardscape or decor of any kind. Some larger rocks, driftwood, or decorations so the tank doesn't look so "flat" and empty. As of now it is just a big open space.


Here are my suggestions:

-remove the rainbow gravel, it takes away from the natural look of the dark substrate, coral rock, and any live plants you have

-add another 2-3cm of substrate, as of now it is too shallow for plants to take root in

-add a large piece of aquarium-safe driftwood, or multiple small-to-medium sized pieces; initially your water will be stained yellow but this will disappear with water changes over time. Your neons will appreciate tannin-stained water and it actually makes their blue more intense.

-while not necessary, the coral rock is making your water more alkaline and raising your pH; non of your fish particularly need hard water so they can be removed

-large plants such as Valisneria, Crypt spiralis, water wisteria, or Elodea will fill in a lot of the background space, making the tank seem more full and also hiding the back wall and any hardware

-if you want a carpet, you could still try something like dwarf sag; your substrate needs to be deeper for any rooting plants but dwarf sag doesn't need CO2
Can I do all of that without moving my neon? I am going to take out the rainbow substrate with no problems.
And my substrate is not really that flat you can't tell from that perspective. But I think is good enough for some plant to grow root in it because that right side plant is going well and this is 7 month Aquarium. But if you suggest it I might place some more substrate cz I have some spare.
And again. Can I add substrate with my fish in it?

And I have to skip on Dwarf Sag.
I dont really like hair grass looking carpet going to skip that I guess.
Can I keep some shrimps w/ only 8 Neon Tetra with heavily planted tank?
 

CaptAndrews

Active Member
Member
Messages
157
Reaction score
117
Location
California
Experience
Just started
FISH
You could do an all-tetra tank, your size would allow for a nice sized school. Or, you coud consider adding some bottom dwellers to your tank since the tetras are mid-upper level fish. Corys and Loaches are popular fish that hang out on the bottom but enjoy fine gravel or sand. Can't tell how fine/course your gravel is. There are other bottom dwelling fish you might look into. Since you do have a tall tank, I think Mollys are some of the fish that enjoy having verticle height, someone confirm/correct me on this if I'm mistaken. You could also consider those as well.

HARDSCAPE
I concur with using some driftwood to add to your tank. Maybe placing them leaning farther up in the tank using the rule of 3rds for some visual appeal.
Another option is to have taller profile decor center piece such as a tall rock which would help draw attention.
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,920
Reaction score
4,070
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
ZDFrost said:
Can I do all of that without moving my neon? I am going to take out the rainbow substrate with no problems.
And my substrate is not really that flat you can't tell from that perspective. But I think is good enough for some plant to grow root in it because that right side plant is going well and this is 7 month Aquarium. But if you suggest it I might place some more substrate cz I have some spare.
And again. Can I add substrate with my fish in it?
You shouldn't have to move the neons. I say it looks shallow because at the front it only appears to be about 2cm deep, and a lot of plants will have trouble establishing roots in substrate that shallow. I see now that the substrate is mounded in the middle and towards the back.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
Z

ZDFrost

New Member
Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
2
Experience
2 years
CaptAndrews said:
FISH
You could do an all-tetra tank, your size would allow for a nice sized school. Or, you coud consider adding some bottom dwellers to your tank since the tetras are mid-upper level fish. Corys and Loaches are popular fish that hang out on the bottom but enjoy fine gravel or sand. Can't tell how fine/course your gravel is. There are other bottom dwelling fish you might look into. Since you do have a tall tank, I think Mollys are some of the fish that enjoy having verticle height, someone confirm/correct me on this if I'm mistaken. You could also consider those as well.

HARDSCAPE
I concur with using some driftwood to add to your tank. Maybe placing them leaning farther up in the tank using the rule of 3rds for some visual appeal.
Another option is to have taller profile decor center piece such as a tall rock which would help draw attention.
I can't find any Driftwood in my Pet store. That's why I never used them lol

#Edit
I heard that loaches are prone to disease. Especially Kuhli Loaches going to skip that I guess.
Thanks for the suggestion
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,920
Reaction score
4,070
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
ZDFrost said:
I can't find any Driftwood in my Pet store. That's why I never used them lol
Online shopping my dude, it's my go-to these days.
 

CaptAndrews

Active Member
Member
Messages
157
Reaction score
117
Location
California
Experience
Just started
ZDFrost said:
I can't find any Driftwood in my Pet store. That's why I never used them lol
Ah, okay. I haven't checked mine for dirftwood yet. I know it can be a little pricey. DOn't suppose you are anywhere near a coast? And of course you could order online if you really wanted and had to.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Z

ZDFrost

New Member
Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
2
Experience
2 years
Going to check something on online shop in the future I guess.
I will look up for driftwood and some Tall Plant.
Never tried Online Shopping lol
 

CaptAndrews

Active Member
Member
Messages
157
Reaction score
117
Location
California
Experience
Just started
ZDFrost said:
Going to check something on online shop in the future I guess.
I will look up for driftwood and some Tall Plant.
Never tried Online Shopping lol
For aquarium supplies or in general?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
Z

ZDFrost

New Member
Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
2
Experience
2 years
CaptAndrews said:
For aquarium supplies or in general?
Going to check for aquarium supplies & yes j never use online shopping in general lol
 

CaptAndrews

Active Member
Member
Messages
157
Reaction score
117
Location
California
Experience
Just started
ZDFrost said:
Going to check for aquarium supplies & yes j never use online shopping in general lol
It seems as though it's hard to get away from it. Bills have moved online, pre-ordering tickets, and the items stores don't carry on the shelf can be ordered online and picked-up or shipped. Even baby and wedding registries contribute to this. Crazy how much much shopping traffic has moved into the digital world in the last 10 to 20 years..
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,920
Reaction score
4,070
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
3 years
CaptAndrews said:
It seems as though it's hard to get away from it. Bills have moved online, pre-ordering tickets, and the items stores don't carry on the shelf can be ordered online and picked-up or shipped. Even baby and wedding registries contribute to this. Crazy how much much shopping traffic has moved into the digital world in the last 10 to 20 years..
Can you really blame anyone though? Online stores have literally anything you can think of (literally... anything). Also I can't get a lot of my aquarium supplies locally or even if I drove for several hours.

Rimless tanks, CO2 equipment, high quality substrate, tissue culture plants, etc are just not available where I live. What stores are local only carry the basic necessities in regards to filtration, foods, substrates, plants, etc, and ordering from them is hit-or-miss; they cater to "fish tanks" and not hobbyists who are more serious about aquascaping and plant growth.
 

CaptAndrews

Active Member
Member
Messages
157
Reaction score
117
Location
California
Experience
Just started
Fahn said:
Can you really blame anyone though? Online stores have literally anything you can think of (literally... anything). Also I can't get a lot of my aquarium supplies locally or even if I drove for several hours.

Rimless tanks, CO2 equipment, high quality substrate, tissue culture plants, etc are just not available where I live. What stores are local only carry the basic necessities in regards to filtration, foods, substrates, plants, etc, and ordering from them is hit-or-miss; they cater to "fish tanks" and not hobbyists who are more serious about aquascaping and plant growth.
Oh don't get me wrong, my current and last jobs are I.T. heavy and I am online most of the day. I don't think it's bad, more so, how much of a change for only 10 to 20 years is remarkable. Although new technologies seem to have leveled off in my opinion. I use online shopping for a good handful of things every month. It does, like you said, open up a world of opportunity where local stores won't/can't carry; Even large chain stores like walmart have SOOO much online, not to mention 3r party vendors that bring even more to the table.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
71
Guests online
1,786
Total visitors
1,857

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom