Any sugestions?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Karl R, Apr 6, 2010.

1. K

Karl R Valued Member Member

Hey there all. I just set up my second aquarium and I'm looking for ideas on what to stock it with. A little about the tank. 30 gallon from all glass aquariums. Gravel substrate, not cycled yet. Going to keep it a fresh water. Running a bio wheel 150 for filter a 100 watt heater and a bubble bar. Since I don't know what I want to put in there and just set it up tonight I have no infoas far as water parameters go. I want to keep something a little more challenging than plattys corys and tetras. I would also like whatever I put in there to be colorfull! I am open to any sugestions just keep in mind this a new hobie for me. However my forty gal is thriveing under my care. When suggesting fish please also be kind enough to include water prefernces and temp requirements as well as nutrition requirements. I look forward to hearing your suggestions and value every little nugget of wisdom I can collect very highly. Thanks in advance for your reply.

2. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Seeing you posted in the invertebrates section I think you would like to have some in it lol. I would go with a few dawf crayfish or one or two electric blue crayfish just be sure to have plently of hidding places if you have more then one. Crays like the standard water perameters with temps around 70-78 degrees. If you want snails...MTS are fun but work better in sand substrate or if your gravel is real small that'll be fine. I like mysteries the best though one or two...just watch for eggs/breeding they get pretty big and are fun to watch. As for fish Idk what to suggest...Crays will eat anything they can grab ahold of. Unless its really big then the cray might be food for the fish lol. So something in the middle that doesnt eat meat would be good. Best of Luck I'm sure someone else will have more advice then me lol.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome, fellow Jerseyian! My parents are from toms river, and my grandparents live in Island Heights.

First things first, you ought to considder beefing up your filtration. IME 150 gph is half of what's needed for a 30 gallon tank.

4. OP
    OP
    K

Ok I will replace the 150 bio wheel with a 350 penguin bio wheel would that be beefy enough? I already have one on my 40 gallon and really like it. The tank was bought used. It came with everything except the gravel for 25 dollars! Stand and all.
    Hey how do I move this thread? I posted this in da wrong place for sure.

5. Jaysee

I think a mod (ken most likely) will move it for you in the morning. No worries. That's a fantastic deal.

The penguin 350 is a better choice. I would go with the emperor 280 over the penguin 350 - it's queiter and IMO a much better design.

6. Furallicah

I find penguins to be good filters but if I had to choose Emperor is the way I would go. They are nice filters IMO.

7. OP
    OP
    K

What is the differnce? Between the two?

8. OP
    OP
    K

Is the emperor a hob I don't feel comfortable with trying to modify an aquarium bye myself just yet and don't know anyone who can perform this work. I do however want to learn how so I can step up to a canister unit on each aquarium.

9. Jaysee

The emperors are quieter, IME. Aside from that, they have larger media compartments. But the main reason they are better IMO is because they have a spray bar.

Unfiltered water (water that hasn't been through the media) contains higher amounts of the ammonia and nitrite needed to feed the bacteria. Soooo, the spraybar drives the wheel, so the bacteria living on the wheel gets the maximum amount of ammonia and nitrite. That makes for a strong and stable colony.

The water that spins the wheel of the penguins is on its way out the spillway. It's already been through the media, therefore most of the ammonia and nitrite has already been consumed. That makes for a weaker colony.

10. Furallicah

That link will provide some info about the emperor filter. If you do have to modify your tank I would just stick with the 350 to be honest. Its mostly just personal choice you might get an emperor and hate it lol.

*Edit, though Jaysee does have a good point...;)*

11. OP
    OP
    K

Ahhh I see said the blind man. Well I guess it is time to upgrade my filters for both aquariums then. Spray bar hmmm that sounds like a wonderful thing. I bet my aquarium would benifit from the switch. Thanks for the explination.

12. Furallicah

Dont forget to rip up any old filter material from your old filter and throw it into your new ones to keep your cycle. Mini Cycles are a pain...lol. Best of Luck.

13. OP
    OP
    K

Thanks for the advice! N I will try like a cat tryin to burry a turd on a wood floor to avoid those mini cycles!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice