10 Gallon Tank Any stocking ideas? Thanks!

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,

I am in the process of using the Add and Wait method of fishless cycling on my brand new 10 gallon fish tank. I have added the ammonia and it has been three days so far. I am just waiting for the level to drop. In the mean time, I am researching what fish I could put in my tank.

I have a couple of ideas so far:
- Tetras
- Gouramis
- Possible shark?
- Guppies
- Betta

I was just wondering what would be a great combo of fish. I really would like a peaceful community tank. Thanks for the support

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi thanks for the reply. How many of each do you think I should add to create a community tank?

Emberdee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You would not be able to put a shark in there, they get too big and aggressive. A pearl gourami would get too big to put in a 10 gallon aquarium. The only gouramis that you could add would be a dwarf gourami, a honey gourami, or a couple of sparkling gourami. A betta would work, but you couldn't really add anything else, as they can be aggressive to tankmates and a 10 gallon doesn't have room for fish to get away. You could divide the tank and put a couple of bettas in it, depending on the size you want to give them. If you wanted tetras, you would only be able to put in a single smallish school in, about 5-8, but even then that might be pushing it. You could add a few guppies, but beware of fry, because they can overstock your tank quickly. I hope these options help!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore! And great choice in doing a fishless cycle!

I'd say a small school of neon tetras (5-6), a small school of Pygmy corys (4) and maybe a dwarf gourami, but the DG is definitely pushing the limit. You could do a platy or a pretty male guppy instead of the DG.

-Lisa

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi, and Welcome to Fish Lore! I would suggest getting one betta. They are my favorite kind of fish! You could probably add like some shrimp with him (although some bettas have been known to eat shrimp). Also, IDK how big a tank these need, but it's either cories or ottos (can't remember which)that some people have had success keeping with bettas. You could also add a mystery snail. On a side note, if you do get a betta, when looking for decorations, (i.e. castles, sunken ships etc.) be sure and feel around on it. This is because bettas have delicate fins, and they can tear them on sharp edges. Here's a link on dividing a tank for bettas.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/dividing-a-tank-for-bettas-fun-and-low-cost.46452/

If you get a school of tetras, one thing you might consider (don't know if you already decorated your tank or not) is getting black gravel. Some people have kept neon tetras with black gravel, and I have always thought it would be cool to do.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would say no to the pygmy cories. I've tried reading up on them, and I don't think a small school (4) will work. Apparently, they need to be in a larger group, and can actually die if not kept in sufficient numbers.

Just my two cents.

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If I had a school of tetras, would 7 or 8 work or is that too much? What about a betta with the school as well?

I really want a betta and some school of fish if that is possible

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's hit or miss with the bettas. Some people here have had nothing but good experiences keeping bettas with other fish. But some have had the betta destroy everything in the tank, sometimes even after a long period of peace. People seem to have the better luck mixing bettas with a bottomdweller like corys or otos but you have to have a backup plan in case things get ugly. I personally wouldn't take the risk, but others like to live on the edge.

If you had only tetras you could probably get away with 8-10 neon tetras.

Are you in the US? Neon tetras here are really fragile due to overbreeding and do better in well-established tanks. But even then they can die off without warning. A similar-looking hardier alternative is the cardinal tetra, but it too does better in a well-established tank.

There are plenty of small tetras, though. Flame tetras and ember tetras come to mind. Embers are even smaller than neons if memory serves and flames are around 1-1.5"

-Lisa

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cardinal tetras are also not as common as neons, I know there isn't a LFS around me that carries them. Only neons....and one store selling neons as cardinals. But cardinals are a good option, they are also a bit bigger so you won't be able to get as many.

Tetras are a good choice, but keep in mind they like to be in schools of atleast 5 or 6 so that limits your stocking for other fish

To the gourami personally I'd just not get it. A dwarf would work but whenever I had them in a 10 gal they'd either die or kill my other fish.

Sharks are deffinatly a no, I do not know any that stay small enough and they are also much too agressive for the smaller fish.

Guppies are a good idea, I like them I think they're colorful and active but you have to watch out tetras can be fin nippers and guppys have big pretty fins.

Bettas personally I think should be kept alone. More often than not it does not work out. If you want bettas then I'd divide the tank and get two. Or just give one a really big tank. They're just flat out too agressive.

Some people have mentioned cories and unfortunatly you really don't have the tank space for most of them as they need to be in large groups usually a 20 gallon has enough space for the smaller corys.

Also otos are a very fragile fish that needs to be in a group of around 5 so I really think these are too small as well.

So here's my stocking ideas for you.....

1)
-6 neon tetras
-3 guppies
-3 or 4 cherry or ghost shrimp

2)
-1 Dwarf Gourami
-2 Platys
-6 Zebra Danios

3)
-5 white clouds
-1 Male guppy
-1 or 2 Platys
-5 Neon tetras

Those are the ones I can think up on the top of my head. There are many other possibilities the last one is pushing it a little but it should be fine.

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Idk if you like them but cherry barbs are also a possibility. They aren't nippy like many other barbs are and the males are a really bright red and they could add a pop of color to your tank. I think they get 1.5in but not 100% sure on that

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The Fish Lore profile says the cherry barbs are 2" but I've seen ones up to 3".

-Lisa

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What would be compatible with about 5 or 6 guppies in a 10 gallon?

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think 5-6 guppies would fully stock a ten gallon aquarium, but be aware that male guppies tend to fight with each other and can result in torn fins and injury to the other guppies

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i'd say no to white cloud minnows, they need cooler water. i think a DG would not be right in a 10g. and probably no to zebra danios, they are crazy and probably need more space, and a lot of other fish don't like their constant movement.

i have two male platys and they are pretty. 2 males would work. livebearers breed a lot, so be careful with guppies, platys, mollies.

personally i would divide the 10g and do a betta tank. that's what i did with my 10g. it's worked very well. though if you do, you have to make sure you have a secure divider, and cover on the top to prevent jumping the divider.

other than that......3 male endlers could work. i have them and they are nice.

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was thinking neon, but I would really like a community tank with atleast 2 types of fish if that's possible. Do you have any ideas? Thanks

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well with 5 guppies, you're going to have fry. do you have plan for them? and if you do all males, they will most likely nip and/or fight.

if you want a mix of two kinds, you could have 2 male platys, 1male guppy and 2-3 male endlers.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom