Any Small, Slow Cold Water Fish?

Sage Exotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’m looking for a hardy, peaceful, slow-moving, cold water fish that is at least an inch long. I know, pretty specific. It should be not messy, preferably and fit in a 30 gal. Does such a fish exist?

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, White Clouds are small, hardy and peaceful. Not slow moving though.

Depending on how cold we're talking (I'm assuming that cold water means between 60-72F in this case) some shrimp will thrive in lower temps.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Most small fish are going to be more active, as in the wild they are often prey to larger fish, so being slow isn't beneficial for survival!

I can make suggestions based on the temp of the tank, but none will be "slow".

Sage Exotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I need slow, I’m looking to put them with an alpine newt (small, peaceful, and doesn’t like little fishies darting around it), so I don’t want to stress it out. I’m thinking slower than rosy reds, but not sure what to do.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't keep anything with the newt, personally. Anything you add will add waste to the tank, and you want to keep the water clean for the newt.

Sage Exotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know most wouldn’t, but I’d i can find a nice match I think it would be quite beautiful. Alpines are very hardy and don’t poison the tank after one feeding like most other amphibians, so it’s not too big of a problem. That’s why I asked for “not messy”, and again, another trait, preferably top-swimmers because the newt will stay mostly on the bottom.

Sage Exotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’m thinking rosy red minnows, might be it, I just don’t want to go through the quarantining thing and probably lose some, also don’t want to support overcrowding and selling the sick little things. I probably just won’t do anything else with the newts, maybe some shrimp but that’s it. Thanks all!

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Sage Exotics said:
I’m thinking rosy red minnows, might be it, I just don’t want to go through the quarantining thing and probably lose some, also don’t want to support overcrowding and selling the sick little things. I probably just won’t do anything else with the newts, maybe some shrimp but that’s it. Thanks all!
Shrimp might end up as the newt's dinner

Sage Exotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know, was thinking just have a patch of tubifex in there and quite a few shrimp, ought to keep the population steady, shrimp seem to be the best cleanup crew, they can really reach in the gravel with those claw/arms/legs and they really do polish off left overs.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Remember that you are the best clean up crew too. If there's leftover food, feed less Shrimp won't replace the need for good gravel vaccing in the substrate.

Sage Exotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh I know, just think a good cleanup crew is beneficial, I wouldn’t replace maintenance with them.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No such thing as a cleanup crew. Its a total misnomer. "Cleanup crews" only clean up overfeedings and algae from too much light and not enough maintenance. If you WANT to add shrimp, thats one thing, but theyre going to add to the bioload too.

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sage Exotics said:
I’m looking for a hardy, peaceful, slow-moving, cold water fish that is at least an inch long. I know, pretty specific. It should be not messy, preferably and fit in a 30 gal. Does such a fish exist?
All fish are messy. You feed they pop. Not sure you will find what you are looking for. If its because you don't want to keep up with cleaning the tank then fish are not for you. If I was to ask this question I would just plant a fishless tank and call it good. No need for anything but light. Please don't take this the wrong way it just doesn't sound possible for a fish to not be messy.

Sage Exotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay I was trying to find out if any fish were suitable to live with some newts I want, and I don’t have to do much maintenance for the newts I’m getting so I didn’t want to ruin that. I already have some fish, and I love them, just think other aquatics would be fun to try as well. I do love shrimp, and they have a very small bioload, but eat a lot and keep the tank looking good. And you know how a neon tetra, for example, doesn’t have as big a bioload as a pea puffer, for example, even though they’re same size. Puffers are messy and tetras aren’t, I know all fish will poop, but how much (tetras don’t poop a lot, puffers are poop machines) and how they go about eating their food (tetras just eat the flakes you put in, puffers tear apart their meal and get it everywhere), some poop contains more ammonia than others too, depending on the diet (I think a carnivorous diet has more ammonia in the waste if I’m not mistaken), all this affects how much they contribute to the bioload, you get me?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Agree with you that some fish are messier than others. Just some people post on FL looking for miracle fish to do the tank maintenance for them, and we just wanted to make sure this wasn't what you were looking for

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom