Any Samurai Gourami People Out There?

applejax

When I first got our samurai gourami, s/he was all brown and looked a lot like a leaf, more like this. A few months later, s/he picked up some color with noticeable reds, and then eventually returned back to the brown color. Now again, s/he's getting lighter, stripes are visible, and some color is again coming out.

The fish looks lighter and colors are more prominent in the picture, but you can see the difference. Is this change in color due to maturing, mating, stress? I especially want to make sure the guy isn't stressed.

Attachments

• IMG_20220121_151447.jpg
    IMG_20220121_151447.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 22

MacZ

The fish is maturing.

What parameters do you keep it in? Can you post a picture of the tank?

jinjerJOSH22

When I first got our samurai gourami, s/he was all brown and looked a lot like a leaf, more like this. A few months later, s/he picked up some color with noticeable reds, and then eventually returned back to the brown color. Now again, s/he's getting lighter, stripes are visible, and some color is again coming out.

The fish looks lighter and colors are more prominent in the picture, but you can see the difference. Is this change in color due to maturing, mating, stress? I especially want to make sure the guy isn't stressed.
Hi, I have very little experience with Samurai Gourami, I think the tank we had them in was too small for the small group we had and likely too many females.
This looks like a female in breeding dress. Unlike other Gourami were there is a difference in colour, in this species it's the females that display wonderful colouring.

Like Mac asked I would love to see your setup. :)

applejax

Sorry for the delay, been run down with my feeble old injured body. It's my first setup, and if I were to do it again now, there's a lot I'd do differently. Still constantly learning.

Our zodiac loach was hiding, as was our bn.

tank

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Theo
  • Question
  • jinjerJOSH22
  • Gourami
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
  • Question