Any Room For Bolivian Ram?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Becknewt24, Apr 15, 2018.

1. B

Becknewt24 Valued Member Member

Bowfront 36 gallon

Albino cories 9x
    Harlequin rasboras 7x (I've had 3 die in the past 2ish months)
    Platy 2x
    Guppy 1x
    Molly 1x
    Dwarf gourami 1x
    Zebra snails 2x

Would I have any room? Would I have to rehome any fish (which I doubt I would do). Anything?

2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

That’s sound way over crowded I would remove some of them or just keep them and not get anymore until there’s 15 and then maybe add 1 or 2 .The Cory’s will get bigger because they have room

3. OP
    OP
    B

Why is my tank overcrowded?

4. Betta Gremlin

Betta Gremlin Valued Member Member

I'd only keep both of the platies, or just the molly, or just the guppy. The others seem fine in terms of overstocking.

5. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Well you got 22 fish in there I don’t know the sizes for them but that seems like a lot I do know that the Cory’s will get bigger because they have space

6. OP
    OP
    B

Albinos get to 2 inches. Rasboras get to 1.5, platys get to 2, guppys get to 2, mollys to 4.5, and dwarf gouramis get to 3 or 3.5. Plus the smartest person on here told me my stocking was fine.

And I usually do 40-50 percent water changes per week.

How come?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  7. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

I think you're pretty much stocked, perhaps even pushing it a bit imo. I wouldn't add the rams personally.

8. OP
    OP
    B

Welp. I didn't think so. Maybe next tank I get. If I get a pair, they're best if they are the same gender, right? And could I fit 1 or 2 in a 20 gallon?

@TexasDomer would you agree with what the other people said?

9. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You could do a M/F pair in a 20 gal long. Two males may not work out, two females may. A 20 gal tall is a little too small for a pair.

I think you could add a Bolivian to this tank, especially if you took out something like the molly.

10. CraniumRex

CraniumRex Well Known Member Member

I’m not a stocking expert by any stretch of the imagination but my research and experience tell me stocking comes down to four things - physical space, filtration, bioload, and water changes.

From a space point of view my rams (I have 6 but not all in the same tank) stay towards the bottom. With good filtration and diligent water changes you could be just fine. I am unfamiliar with where platys and mollys hang out though.

Agree with @TexasDomer that 20g is too small for a pair. I would not get the same gender if it's males - mine are okay in my 55 with lots of plants but there is a lot of squabbling at feeding time. I have a pair of females who get on quite nicely, though. That said, Bolivian rams are very, very hard to sex until they are more mature. If you aren't into rehoming fish, then make sure you can sex them when you get them.

The only definitive is the vent. Just as an example, it is said that males have tail extensions and a taller third ray that is often black. My females both have tail extensions and one has a taller third ray that is very black. I bought them sexed. The first set I got was four, hoping for 3 F, 1 M. I'd have even settled for 2 and 2 but noooo, I got four males. I had to take one out of my 55 g because he was so chippy with the others (goodbye 29G quarantine tank, hello new DT!).

Anyway, they are sort of like angels - often best kept as a single specimen if you don't want to mess about with letting them choose a mate (preferred) from a group, then rehoming the rest.

11. E

Ethan22 New Member Member

I breed Bolivian Rams in a 20 high, it’s plenty of space, they are the only fish in there, but they breed fine and it’s a beautiful tank

12. OP
    OP
    B

That's cool, but I doubt I'll end up rehoming any. Although there is some serious bullying going on between 3 fish (2v1, 2 platys vs 1 guppy but guppy is winning) if 1 died, could I put a ram in? And is there any way to stop it or does it just play out?

I was told that it's best to keep the same gender. I feel like you're right tho.

13. Susiefoo

Susiefoo Well Known Member Member

I had to rehome my Bolivian m/f pair after my dwarf gourami went for them repeatedly. He just would not stop though he had always been peaceful with other fish before. This was in a 65g long heavily planted tank too. So it's not a combination I would recommend personally unless you have a backup plan.

14. OP
    OP
    B

Wow that sucks. My dwarf gourami is super layed back though. Only time anything aggressive has happened is when I bought my molly and he tried to rule the tank. He put him in his place lol. But yeah he's way more layed back now.

15. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If they're seriously bullying each other, and it doesn't stop after a few days, I'd rehome the aggressor. You can add a Bolivian ram regardless though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice