Any recommendations for voice recognition software?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by endlercollector, Aug 2, 2014.

1. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Does anybody have voice recognition software that they can use in Word? Seven weeks of tendinitis in both hands, and I still cannot use a pen or type without pain. I'm due to start physical therapy at last next week but will still need to rely on voice recognition, so that I do not overdo things.

I have had zero success with the voice recognition in windows as it is primarily about selecting from the menu. I have been relying on Siri on my cell phone, but trying to edit on such a small screen is extremely difficult. I sometimes have incoherent passages and very embarrassing auto corrections on the Internet for days before I notice :0

The inability to write has been the most devastating thing to happen in this last year of events that require adjectives that are not permitted in Fishlore. I began writing when I was six, the same year I began rescuing animals and tutoring other kids at the request of the teacher. Come to think of it, that was when I started playing the piano, too, which helped me become a 90-wpm typist. So this has all been quite a journey of late.

2. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Wow! I'm so sorry you are going through this!

I hear Dragon software is pretty excellent for voice recognition to type. A lot of doctors offices now use it too.

3. OP
    OP
    endlercollector

Has anyone here used Dragon software for speech recognition? Does it work well for use within word for windows?

Thanks, @ Phisphin (your username and mine are really tough for speech recognition)! I like the idea that doctors can use it. Siri actually is pretty good at getting complex multisyllabic drug names but confuses "fish" and "friends" randomly LOL

4. Phishphin

Sometimes I confuse fish for friends too, so it's an understandable mistake. :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  5. Witchydesign

Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Lemme ask a few people, might take a bit. If i forget send me a message to check on them lol.

6. OP
    OP
    endlercollector

@ Witchydesign
    Any Feedback on Dragon software will be very appreciated! I'm the kind of person who will read every single yelp review going back years as I look for patterns. I believe in learning from others' experiences – it saves me a lot of time and frustration ;)

7. Witchydesign

Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

I know alot of serious computer people so one of them should know.

8. Kindafishy

Kindafishy Valued Member Member

I've used Dragon and it does work well. The more you use it, or spend time training it, the better it becomes. A quality microphone for it can help make a big difference.

I don't use it much anymore as most of the things I type are pretty limited and it's just easier to type. One very cool thing about it though, is you can train it to command several computer operations. So, you can have it open Word, then start typing.

9. OP
    OP
    endlercollector

Has anyone used Dragon software voice recognition with the mic that comes with Rosetta Stone? How about with the basic earbuds and mic for iPhone?

I saw that they have their own Bluetooth also for more money, (but of course). Has anyone here tried it?

I do hate feeling wired up all the time. I think it's only a matter of time before they come up with an implant, sort of like a cochlear implant for the Wi-Fi impaired :0

10. Phishphin

Who wants a wifi implant and has two thumbs??!! This guy!!! <points to self with thumbs>

11. OP
    OP
    endlercollector

Yeah, that's the crazy thing. Seven weeks ago, I lost the use of three fingers on each hand. I've depended on my iPhone for almost everything since then. So now my index fingers and thumbs are killing me.

And to top it all off, my regular speech patterns seem to have been altered by this intense yet impersonal relationship with Siri. Just like the way I have always tended to pick up the accent of the person that I am speaking to, I am starting to sound like Siri :0

12. Kindafishy

Kindafishy Valued Member Member

I've not used the BT headset they offer, but have used the Plantronics Voyager and that works great.

13. OP
    OP
    endlercollector

I started reading reviews of dragon speech recognition on Amazon.com this afternoon, and now I am really confused. over 490 people love it, but over 190 hate it. Significantly, the people who hate it had the same kind of complaints that I have about windows voice recognition. A couple of people posted two versions of their reviews, one written with Dragon and one that they corrected. It looked a lot like what I have been experiencing already :0

14. jileha

jileha Well Known Member Member

I feel with you, Endlercollector! I have been impaired with two sprained wrists after a completely stupid and completely avoidable fall in February. Now they are inflamed and the inflammation has spread to my elbow - tennis elbow without the fun of tennis. It sucks when even the most mondane things hurt! Not to mention doing water changes...

I have used Dragon professionally (translator), although the German version. As far as speech recognition goes, I think there is not much competition, and the program has gotten better and better over the years. This does not mean that it understands each and every word perfectly, but it's amazing how far this technology has come since the early years. The negative reviews are probably from people with wrong expectations and/or a lack of understanding of the complexities involved. It also involves a certain learning curve to make optimal use of all its functions. A lot of translators use the English version, so it can't be too bad!

Particularly when you have texts where one or the other occasional misunderstanding won't cost you your reputation, it will definitely save you a lot of pain and allow you to write. My main concern when I use Dragon is that a spell check doesn't help as every single word is, of course, spelled correctly. But German has so many different inflections and the sounds of m and n are hard to distinguish in certain combinations and easy to miss in the proofreading process. English, I am sure, has some other idiosyncratic smaller issues, but there are also some tricks how to outsmart them.

If you still can use your two inedex fingers for typing, an iPad or other tablet might be an alternative. I usually only type with these two fingers on my iPad, but use all ten on a regular keyboard. It's not quite as fast, but not bad.

Depends on whether you love technology and will get a kick out of the wonders of speech recognition or prefer the varied offers to waste time a tablet can offer.

I hope you'll get the use of all your fingers back soon!!!

15. OP
    OP
    endlercollector

Thank you @ jileha @ Kindafishy Phishphin for your recommendations. Hubby went ahead and downloaded Dragon for me. I have been spending the last couple of hours using the tutorial and training it to understand some of the unusual pronunciations that I have. It is doing so much better than I would have thought. Windows speech recognition was a disaster, and even though Siri has generally done well for me, I have a multiethnic/multilingual situation that makes everything more complicated, and I am always saying unexpected things. But it was a good sign that one of the choices in the tutorial was the opening passage from Alice in Wonderland, one of my favorite books and by a mathematician with a love for made-up words no less.

@ jileha
    okay, now I don't feel so embarrassed anymore and see that I am part of an elite club. I do need to go out and learn how to shoot and play tennis when this is all done. I promised my doctor that I would never touch a weeder again – – from now on I only want to get injured having fun!

16. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Some software comes with a time limited money back guarantee or free trial, I would check if Dragonsoftware does this.

17. OP
    OP
    endlercollector

“will will will will will will will” is how Dragon transcribes the dogs barking while I am trying to write.

At least, my husband swears up and down that he did not spend a lot of money on this, unlike his decision to get me $500 worth of allergy eyedrops rather than help with the vacuuming :0

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice