Any Reason to vacuum instead of sweep?

Joker77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Never actually done this but got the idea after seeing how much **** gets kicked up while moving decorations. Seems like it would be more efficient to just rake/sweep the gravel and get all the grossness into the water column then siphon it out that way with a large water change as opposed to tediously vacuuming the gravel 2" at a time.

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I find that raking/sweeping the gravel doesn't get the gunk thats all the way at the bottom. This is especially true if you have deep substrate or a larger tank.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When you do your WC do a deep gravel vac on 1/4 of your tank then the next week do the next 1/4 area etc... I agree with above without a good deep gravel vac you are leaving a lot of "waste" in the substrate.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Change over to sand as a substrate.

Joker77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Islandvic said:
Change over to sand as a substrate.
I'm curious as why you say this. I have gravel in the 90 gallon and sand in the 150 gallon. I dont find the sand to be any less maintenance.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Joker77 said:
I'm curious as why you say this. I have gravel in the 90 gallon and sand in the 150 gallon. I dont find the sand to be any less maintenance.
Fish poop can’t get down deep in sand. The poop sits on the top and can be sucked out much easier.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom