Any reason to avoid Petsmart's Top Fin glass aquariums?

Rosegardener

Pretty good price for a brand new glass tank with stand, what are the pros and cons of Top Fin brand of tanks? Any reason to avoid? I am thinking to get their 125g glass tank.
Top Fin® LED Aquarium & Stand Ensemble - 125 Gallon | fish Aquariums | PetSmart

RayClem

It does not say whether the glass is tempered. For an aquarium as large as 125 gallons, it either needs to be thick plate glass or thinner glass that has been tempered for strength. If the glass is tempered, do not try drilling it as it is likely to crack unless you have the proper knowledge and tools.

I have a 125 gallon tempered glass aquarium that was drilled for internal overflows. It is currently empty as maintaining it was too much work. If you are not an experienced fishkeeper, you might want to start with something smaller. .

I see that you are a new forum member. How much experience do you have with aquariums? An aquarium as large as 125 gallons is expensive to purchase and the substrate, lighting, heating, filtration, and stocking will be expensive, so make sure you figure this out before making your initial purpose. Because the tank is six feet long, you will probably need two lights, two heaters, two filters and a lot of sand or gravel. Also remember that a filled 125 gallon aquarium will weight about 1300 lbs. Make sure you have a location that can withstand the floor loading. You will also need a stand that can support that weight. I built my own stand from 2 x 4 lumber with plenty of bracing. It is was in the basement on a concrete floor. If a 125 gallon aquarium leaks or breaks, that is a lot of water to deal with.

BPSabelhaus

To add, that’s a fair amount of coin for a setup that is a store exclusive. You’re going to need to research for fish / plants anyway. May as well spend a little more time and piece together a better setup for the same or less cash too. Like with Walmart exclusive TV’s you probably have fewer / cheaper options going into the package. Just another thing to consider. What kind of fish / biome are you thinking of doing? If goldfish you’ll need a lot more filtration than that will likely come with. Or a school of smaller and active fish might need more aeration or water flow. It could be a good base with the tank/hood/stand, but everything else (lighting, filtration) might need replacing.

TClare

Some people seem to be happy with it, but there are 15 one star reviews saying not to buy it. I would read all the reviews first.

A201

I bought a Top Fin 120 gal. long & stand at a Petsmart black Friday sale.
My tank & stand were manufactured by Marineland for Top Fin.
It's been up & running since 2016 w/ no problems. Thick glass, black silicone & one year warranty.
I believe the Top Fin 125 is also built by Marineland & has the one year warranty as well.

SparkyJones

I looked at that tank two weeks ago. the tank itself probably adequate. comes with lids and a LED Light.

The stand is garbage though, it has an odd shelf which makes storage of a sump or larger canister filters underneath difficult or impossible, but that's not the worst of it, the cost savings it literally in the fact the stand is made of particle board, not wood. when it gets wet it's going to lose it's integrity and swell up. the stand is likely going to crack under the weight of the tank even if it doesn't swell up.

they were selling just before that an Aqueon 125g on the same stand..... I'm not a fan of this stand at all. it's going to let you down.
because the stand is that flimsy, I don't thrust they didn't get discount low quality tanks from the manufacturer to pair them with also.

Maybe the tank is good, the stand isn't though, and it makes me not trust the tanks either. I would seriosly check the thickness of the glass, and the siliconing of the tank before buying one and get the one I check If I find it's ok to buy.

The cheap becomes the expensive. it's a good price, but pretty clear to me they cut corners to get it that low. and personally I don't trust it long term.

A201

I didn't like the 125 stands either.
Unfortunately particle board stands are the norm nowadays.
My Oceanic tank has a solid wood pine stand, but the 120 gal. stand is particle board.
Always have to be careful during the weekly WC.

Rosegardener

May be build a 2x4 and 4x4 frame inside the cabinet?

A201

No harm using lumber to reinforce a subpar aquarium stand.

Linda1234

I'd check the stand - if it is particle board just don't. What happens over time is they get wet and the particle board will give way. If it is metal or solid wood (not likely) then it should be ok. The actual tanks are either marineland or aqueon. Mind you there has been a fair number of failure of those brand names (I've had two aqueon tanks failed in the past 4 years); but they are a lot cheaper than having a custom made aquarium.

TClare

they are a lot cheaper than having a custom made aquarium.
Not if you make it yourself! I do appreciate that not everyone can do this though.

Linda1234

Not if you make it yourself! I do appreciate that not everyone can do this though.
The very best type of custom made aquarium ! Wish i had your skill/knowledge. i've seen your thread where you made your own aquarium.

TClare

The very best type of custom made aquarium ! Wish i had your skill/knowledge. i've seen your thread where you made your own aquarium.
Not me really, my husband and son are the practical ones! All of our tanks except one are home made which cost much less than buying them.

RayClem

There is a YouTube channel called Prime Time Aquatics that considered the question "Are Starter Fish Tank Kits Worth the Money".

The video bring up good point both for and against using such kits. It might be worth reviewing.

Usually, things included like lights, heaters, filters, etc. are the bare minimum you need to get started. While the price might be attractive initially, you are likely to be dissatisfied with some of the things included and want to upgrade after a few months. Thus, what looks like a great deal might not be quite as good as you think at first.

I did purchase a 55 gallon starter kit years ago. The tank is still in service, but everything else had to be replaced as it was inadequate. Do I regret the purchase: I cannot say that, but in the long run I would have been better off putting together my own kit. For someone with limited experience, putting together a kit from scratch is intimidating. However, as I mentioned earlier, if you have limited experience, I would not recommend getting a 125 gallon tank.

kansas

Years ago, I made my own stand for a 40 long. It worked for a while but eventually leaked, probly because it wasn't flat.

I know that says more about my woodworking skills than anything else but it's something to consider before building your own,

RayClem

Years ago, I made my own stand for a 40 long. It worked for a while but eventually leaked, probly because it wasn't flat.

I know that says more about my woodworking skills than anything else but it's something to consider before building your own,
Good point. It is critical that the stand is level and that the contact area between the stand and the tank frame is flat. even if that means using a piece of plywood. Any uneven stress on the tank frame will eventually lead to leaks or worse.

A201

Unfortunately the warranty on the Petsmart tank / stand combo is voided if the provided stand isn't utilized.

Fisch

I purchased the 125gl from Petsmart, and it is correct, the stand is flimsy. I put 2x4 plastic wood into the base which lifts the tank 1/8", just enough to get the particle board off the ground. Epoxy all open particle board surfaces to waterproof them.
But I agree with other members, the tank is big and proper maintenance is time consuming to the point that it can take the fun out of the hobby. But boy, is it beautiful :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Amcdonald58
Replies
Views
rmurray
Replies
Views
tyguy7760
Replies
Views