Any Rainbows Ideal For A 45g, 36" Long, Tank?

nbalaw2016

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'd really love a school of rainbowfish in my 45g (currently lightly stocked with one angelfish, one blue gourami, and two german blue rams who all get along, kept at 82 degrees, ph around 7.9, 30% weekly changes). I am, however, concerned that the tank will not be long enough for them as they mature. Any thoughts on this issue, and whether there are certain species which are either small enough to be content with the 36" width or others which are relatively calm and do not require long swimming lengths?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A small school of threadfins or blue eyes would work. They arent very easy to find locally but they seem to always be in stock online. If you're looking for a variety of the color changing ones, I believe they are all too big to recommend. You could cheat and get some dwarf rainbows, but might get a little flak.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes threadfins and forktail are the smallest. They are not for the warm water with a high of about 79*. But I had a school of 12 forktail in my 45 which I turned into a discus tank and than moved into a 125. Temp is at 84 and they seem fine. Again they are hard to find by me. Also have in a 90 the neon blue dwarf rainbows. They do get big though and I’d say to big for a school in a 45. But a pair would be good or a pair of boismani rainbows would be fine in a 45.

nbalaw2016

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. I am thinking I will adjust and see if I can make a school of Congo Tetras work in lieu of rainbowfish. I appreciate the input!

nbalaw2016

Valued Member
Reaction score
In case anyone was curious, I was able to find 10 blue eye forktails online and they have adjusted nicely to the tank (unfortunately, one died the day after being introduced, but otherwise, they seem healthy, eat well, and shoal loosely). Temp is down to about 80.5 or so.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom