Any Problem With This Stocking For A 120 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by jake37, Apr 14, 2019.

1. jake37Valued MemberMember

When I move I will be setting up a 120 gallon planted tank. I was thinking I would have the following fishes (unless I missed some major issue):

4 angels (hope for 1 pair but won't kick other 2 out)
    4 gbr (2f 2m)
    8 kuhli (prefer pangio myersi)
    6 otos
    2 bn pleco (have one that I think is female so pick up a male)
    6 zebra loach (not golden zebra loach)
    8 panda cory (have 4 which seem to settled in but perhaps a few more friends)
    12 caridnal tetra
    some random swords/guppies that don't get eaten
    --
    filtration will be 2 eheim 2217 and (maybe) an aquaclear 70 plus a pair of small sponge filters
    -
    plants will be mostly swords, jungle val, various anubias, java fern and perhaps something to carpet (but probably not)
    -
    on wish list but tank probably too small
    4 upside down cats (Synodontis nigriventris)
    --
    target conditions:
    temp: 76 (lower end for angels higher end for panda)
    soft watrer: 3 to 4 kh (guppies/swords are pretty darn hearty)
    ph: would like 7 but substrate will likely push it to 8

2. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

I would say you have too many temperature incompatibilities. Its never a good idea to keep at temperature extremes. The Rams won’t tolerate a temperature that low for long. Angels, Rams, Kuhlis, Cardinals want the water 80+, whereas the others (especially the Pandas) want it in the low 70’s.

3. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

@aquaticj is absolutely correct

4. jake37Valued MemberMember

Hum... If I drop the rams will i be ok ? Pretty sure kuhli and cardinals are ok at 76 but i could be mistaken

5. PokeTileCraft101Valued MemberMember

I keep these fish in my aquarium. Kuhli, i have kept a zebra loach (got a little big for me so i rehomed it), guppies, neon tetras (might be a good substitute for the cardinals), BN plecos corydoras all in one tank. The tank goes as low as 65 degrees during the witner (i have no heater) and as high as 76-78 during the summer and i have no issues. Some fish that you are wanting i am not sure if they will work but the others should do well, as long as the temperature is constant and changes slowly overtime.

6. jake37Valued MemberMember

How big did your zebra get - were they zebra or golden zebra - and would i be better off with yoyo ?

7. PokeTileCraft101Valued MemberMember

I am not sure if it was golden or regular but it got to 3 inches, so i rehomed it because i prefer having smaller fish besides a few exceptions.

Edit- Sorry i meant to say yoyo loach

8. jake37Valued MemberMember

Would things work better if I replace the BGR with Dwarf Gourami; or just drop them completely ?

9. PokeTileCraft101Valued MemberMember

To be in the safe side I would personally drop the gbrs

10. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

For a 120g, you could easily double the amount of Cory's and Kuhli's.

I have Kuhli's myself and they are in a tank at 76-78f.

They have been very hardy and have plumped up being on a nice diet of flakes, 2 types of sinking pellets and bits of wafers.

11. jake37Valued MemberMember

Ok how about this list - btw i rather under populate than over populate the tank:

4 angels (hope for 1 pair but won't kick other 2 out)
    10 kuhli (prefer pangio myersi)
    6 otos
    2 bn pleco (have one that I think is female so pick up a male)
    6 zebra loach (not golden zebra loach)
    10 panda cory (have 4 which seem to settled in but perhaps a few more friends)
    12 caridnal tetra
    some random swords/guppies that don't get eaten (up to 3 red velvet swords and 5 or 6 guppies)
    -
    (basically drop the bgr and be more explicit with the guppies/sword tails). Was kind of hoping for another middle colourful fish but can't think of anything that really works - maybe up the cardinal to 14 or maybe swap the cardinals to something that prefer slightly cooler water ? The panda i have now tolerate 78 well but i've been trying to keep the tank at 76. I currently have 1 angel quater size (purchased 2 but one died in 32 hours - but the second one is doing very well - i sort of know when a new fish is going to die because it never joins the hunt for food at eating time - where as this angel pretty much wants to be and fed anytime i walk near the tank).