Any plant tips?

SouthAmericanCichlids
I am starting my 1st planted tank, and want to know if you have any tips, not so much on the equipment, but for the planting of it, maintenance, etc. Thanks. I don't have Co2 and I know the japan does best with Co2, but if it doesn't spread, I will slowly build up a carpet by buying them. If it helps these are the plants I am getting:
Mystery Crypt plant
Hornwort
Crypt wendtii green
Anubias barteri
Java moss
Marimo moss ball
Anubias nana petite
Hydrocotyle Japan
Bucephlandra Buce Godzilla
Crypt parva
Giant duckweed
Anubias coin leaf
Anacharis elodea

But I would still like advice in just general planted tanks, not just these plants.

Advertisement
Dennis57
Dustinsfishtank has really nice plants.

Advertisement
Catappa
Can anyone help?

Here's a video from my plant supplier (Dutch and English text). Annoying soundtrack can be turned off.

Think of a leaf node like a plant armpit.

SouthAmericanCichlids
JLAquatics could you possibly do a scetch of what my tank would look like fully planted. I have added more sand in the back so it creates a higher cliff. I have the following to use: Hornwort, guppy grass, java moss, anubias nana petite, anubias coin leaf, bucephlandra godzilla, crypt wendetii, and hydroctyle japan.

16149100459302422567603572656913.jpg

JLAquatics
JLAquatics could you possibly do a scetch of what my tank would look like fully planted. I have added more sand in the back so it creates a higher cliff. I have the following to use: Hornwort, guppy grass, java moss, anubias nana petite, anubias coin leaf, bucephlandra godzilla, crypt wendetii, and hydroctyle japan.
View attachment 793596
Sure thing, SouthAmericanCichlids. However, there will be a slight problem in regards to the Guppy Grass and Hornwort. These plants will predominantly be floating and it will be difficult for me to create a mockup design with those plants unless you plan on using plant weights that is. Also, are you planning on adding anymore hardscape before I begin, such as wood or more stones? It will be much better if you use plenty of hardscape because of the epiphytes (anubias, bucephalandra, Java Moss, even Hydrocotyle Japan) you plan to use. :)

Advertisement
SouthAmericanCichlids
These plants will predominantly be floating and it will be difficult for me to create a mockup design with those plants unless you plan on using plant weights that is.
I will weight down the hornwort, but I actually can't use the guppy grass in this tank, sorry.
It will be much better if you use plenty of hardscape because of the epiphytes (anubias, bucephalandra, Java Moss, even Hydrocotyle Japan) you plan to use.
The buce, and anubias, I was thinking maybe put in the crevices in between the cracks, weighted by some rocks. The hydroctyle is kind of like pearlweed, it goes right into the substrate. And as for the java moss, I don't think I'll really want in there actually. I am making a java moss wall in my 10 gallon, and covering the bottom, so that will take a while and I'll probably not be able to use it.

Also, if you want to add golden loydiella or rotala super red you can. I've been thinking about getting those.

JLAquatics
I will weight down the hornwort, but I actually can't use the guppy grass in this tank, sorry.

The buce, and anubias, I was thinking maybe put in the crevices in between the cracks, weighted by some rocks. The hydroctyle is kind of like pearlweed, it goes right into the substrate. And as for the java moss, I don't think I'll really want in there actually. I am making a java moss wall in my 10 gallon, and covering the bottom, so that will take a while and I'll probably not be able to use it.

Also, if you want to add golden loydiella or rotala super red you can. I've been thinking about getting those.
Okay, I can most likely get to making a mockup design tomorrow. I have to work really early tomorrow morning and it is about my own personal bedtime. If I forget to reach back to you tomorrow for the design, do not hesitate at all to tag me again and we can come up with a definitive list of plants you are planning to use in your setup. Farewell for now, friend. :)

SouthAmericanCichlids
Okay, I can most likely get to making a mockup design tomorrow. I have to work really early tomorrow morning and it is about my own personal bedtime. If I forget to reach back to you tomorrow for the design, do not hesitate at all to tag me again and we can come up with a definitive list of plants you are planning to use in your setup. Farewell for now, friend. :)
Thank you. It's completely fine. Can't wait!

Note: These are the final plants (underlined are weighted):

Hornwort, guppy grass, anubias nana petite, anubias coin leaf, bucephlandra godzilla, crypt wendetii, and hydroctyle japan.

SouthAmericanCichlids
JLAquatics

JLAquatics
JLAquatics
Thank you for tagging me again! I almost forgot about your request, I'm sorry. :( I will be off of work tomorrow (finally, I work too much) and I will definitely make your design then! I got another request too so I will just make everything in that one day. :)

Advertisement
JLAquatics
Here is my prototype image for your design.

16149100459302422567603572656913 (1).jpg
Since your scape has rocks uniform throughout, it was a challenge creating a focal point (I have never worked with Rectangular Style Aquascapes Before). Your aquarium is composed of layers in this image. Guppy Grass and Hornwort line the back of the aquarium as the first layer. Crypt Wendtii and Anubias Gold Coin are next for the back midground. The Crypts curve forward towards the front left and right to create a sense of scale and depth to add interest, Next up is Anubias Nana Petite and Buce Godzilla. They are the mid-foreground accent pieces that will be used on stones to create some color and tie the back and foregrounds together. The foreground consist of Hydro Japan and an additional plant, Dwarf Sagittaria to create some green patches in the very front. There is a small sand pit area in the tank which I added some additional small stones and I also added a dew wood pieces in the front of the design coming out of the sides to add some texture in your rough design. Keep in mind that with this layout, those stones you have in there now will become almost invisible where they are now. You just have too many large potentially beautiful plants to place in such a setup. I love plants by the way if you can tell by the image. ;)

SouthAmericanCichlids
Thank you for tagging me again! I almost forgot about your request, I'm sorry. :( I will be off of work tomorrow (finally, I work too much) and I will definitely make your design then! I got another request too so I will just make everything in that one day. :)
It's ok, and thank you so much!
Here is my prototype image for your design.
View attachment 794496
Since your scape has rocks uniform throughout, it was a challenge creating a focal point (I have never worked with Rectangular Style Aquascapes Before). Your aquarium is composed of layers in this image. Guppy Grass and Hornwort line the back of the aquarium as the first layer. Crypt Wendtii and Anubias Gold Coin are next for the back midground. The Crypts curve forward towards the front left and right to create a sense of scale and depth to add interest, Next up is Anubias Nana Petite and Buce Goidzilla. They are the mid-foreground accent pieces that will be used on stones to create some color and tie the back and foregrounds together. The foreground consist of Hydro Japan and an additional plant, Dwarf Sagittaria to create some green patches in the very front. There is a small sand pit area in the tank which I added some additional small stones and I also added a dew wood pieces in the front of the design coming out of the sides to add some texture in your rough design. Keep in mind that with this layout, those stones you have in there now will become almost invisible where they are now. You just have too many large potentially beautiful plants to place in such a setup. I love plants by the way if you can tell by the image. ;)
It looks beautiful! I love it! It looks amazing!

JLAquatics
It's ok, and thank you so much!

It looks beautiful! I love it! It looks amazing!
Thank you! I hope my image gives you some inspiration on where to go with your design. :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
Replies
Views
Dart
Replies
Views
-Mak-
  • Question