Any other Yellowtail Congo Tetra (Alestopetersius Caudalis) owners? 60 Gallon Tank 

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I brought home a group of six of these guys yesterday for my growing Myanmar/ West Africa theme of unusual fish...

378.jpg

379.jpg

I was curious about whether anyone else has any and if so, would you recommend that I buy the remaining 5 from the LFS to boost their numbers?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

From what I've read, the Congo Tetra does like to be in schools of 6 to 8. As long as your tank isn't over stocked, I say the bigger the school the better. There is safety in numbers for these fish. When the fish is relaxed and feeling comfortable in their home, you're more likely to see their true colors.

Hold on for more responses.

Ken

Don't forget to update your Aquarium Profile Information.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have regular congo tetras. They're in a 75 gallon community tank. If you have the space and your parameters are on target, I'd definitely increase their schooling numbers.

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Can you please post a bigger photo? Morphologically they look exactly like regular congos, but I see they are 2 different species indeed, caudalis and interruptus. So yeah please post a bit bigger I will like to see them, there are not many pics of them in the web

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I sadly found the missing sixth Tetra this afternoon... floating upside down next to the Juwel filter inlet

Its fins were pretty much non-existant, the only other feature of note was bulging eyes and a slight indent by its right gill.

I'm now keeping an eye on the dominant Opsarius, as he does not seem a happy bunny sharing his water with the new additions. Conversely, the submissive Opsarius is happy to have some other scaley friends!

Pics: I do seem to have issues with shack photos on this forum! Here's a link to the full size photos...

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads