10 Gallon Tank Any other improvements or suggestions ?

depan89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My very first fish tank/ planted fish tank. This little guy seems to spend most of his time only near the glass and not enjoying much around the plants. First day of adding any thing he was very curious and exploring. But then it is like he gets bored really quick. How to simulate him more and more engaging. He only engages when I come near to feed him.

Water is not upto the top because of my DIY baffle. The baffle only works if the water is upto the current level in the pic
20200705_175631(1).jpg

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd add more plants. I've had a few different bettas. They always were lazy and not very active until I added a lot of plants. I just added a female plakat to my 20g, and she just explores all day long.

zorianak

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Plants, and if your water is already soft, rocks. If your water is hard, drift wood. Vary it up a bit :) The terracotta's a good start, too - you can work more of that in, I'm sure.

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
A black backdrop could really improve it! Make sure it’s matte or your Betta will flare up a lot. Is that a digital thermometer? Do you keep those on the outside?! I think I have the same inside my tank..oops!

OP
depan89

depan89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
zorianak said:
Plants, and if your water is already soft, rocks. If your water is hard, drift wood. Vary it up a bit :) The terracotta's a good start, too - you can work more of that in, I'm sure.
I found a drift wood in my local lake. General hardiness of my water is 30. Can I still add driftwood?

OP
depan89

depan89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LadfromLondon said:
A black backdrop could really improve it! Make sure it’s matte or your Betta will flare up a lot. Is that a digital thermometer? Do you keep those on the outside?! I think I have the same inside my tank..oops!
Sure. I will stick a black batte foam board from dollar store ;)

In the ad pitures it looked like it were outside. I'm super new to this so dont know. I also had confusion while sticking it. May be someone else can confirm where that digital thermometer strip goes

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
depan89 said:
I found a drift wood in my local lake. General hardiness of my water is 30. Can I still add driftwood?
Just make sure to boil or bake it first to make it safe. I love doing a mix of hardscape (rocks and wood) with plants. Really give the tank dimension. I would actually disagree with everyone saying you need more plants. What you really need is the plants you have to grow in. It will take some time but when they do grow in you can get more stems by trimming them then planting what you trim off. Dosing fertilizers will help speed up growth. So will CO2 but it’s definitely not needed.

OP
depan89

depan89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FreshwaterHG said:
Just make sure to boil or bake it first to make it safe. I love doing a mix of hardscape (rocks and wood) with plants. Really give the tank dimension. I would actually disagree with everyone saying you need more plants. What you really need is the plants you have to grow in. It will take some time but when they do grow in you can get more stems by trimming them then planting what you trim off. Dosing fertilizers will help speed up growth. So will CO2 but it’s definitely not needed.
All the Bacopa and Rotala Hra are trimmings that I recently bought and added to the tank. Any idea how long it will take for them to root? The guy I bought from said I do not need to add any fertilizer for 4 to 6 months because I have Eco complete as substrate

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
depan89 said:
All the Bacopa and Rotala Hra are trimmings that I recently bought and added to the tank. Any idea how long it will take for them to root? The guy I bought from said I do not need to add any fertilizer for 4 to 6 months because I have Eco complete as substrate
depan89 said:
While eco compete is great for plants I don’t believe it’s nutrient rich (I could be wrong). You definitely don’t need fertilizers but it might speed up growth. I have Rotala in a few of my tanks and it grows fast. You should be able to notice it within a week or so.

OP
depan89

depan89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FreshwaterHG said:
While eco compete is great for plants I don’t believe it’s nutrient rich (I could be wrong). You definitely don’t need fertilizers but it might speed up growth. I have Rotala in a few of my tanks and it grows fast. You should be able to notice it within a week or so.
Could you suggest some good easy apply fertilizer for the tank? Oh I forgot to mention, I did a bleach dip for 10 seconds since these are all cuttings, on this past Sunday. hopefully I did not kill them. But I also haven't noticed any snails or anything suspicious so far. Fingers crossed.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
depan89 said:
Could you suggest some good easy apply fertilizer for the tank? Oh I forgot to mention, I did a bleach dip for 10 seconds since these are all cuttings, on this past Sunday. hopefully I did not kill them. But I also haven't noticed any snails or anything suspicious so far. Fingers crossed.
I have heard great things about Thrive, but have not tried it myself. I only use root tabs currently

OP
depan89

depan89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys, So I added a matte black back ground and Nova(my betta) kept
flaring. So I put my water proof phone in and recorded a video and it was definitely reflecting. This is the one I used -

OP
depan89

depan89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FreshwaterHG said:
Does the same goes to driftwood found in sea? Is it enough to just bake it?

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
depan89 said:
Does the same goes to driftwood found in sea? Is it enough to just bake it?
Hmm I’m actually not sure. Since it was in salt water I presume. Maybe someone else can weigh in....

New Threads